Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Much Fabric?

How do you figure out how much fabric for a quilt if all you have is a picture? This picture was found on Pinterest but has no "home" link that I can find. All I do know about it, is that it's half square triangles. I don't know what size they are nor how much fabric of each color I'd need, not to mention binding and backing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64176363409519645A3jqA0fFc.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	146355

I've done well quilting as long as I have instructions, but with a simple picture, I'm lost. Is there a formula? Any advice would be so appreciated.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Much Fabric?

Decide what size you want the quilt to be. Regardless of the one pictured you can make your HST's any size you want and of course the size of your quilt.

Here is a HST tutorial from Blossom Heart Quilts that might help you.

http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/20...maths-formula/

3. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that you can make the HST's any size you want and the link Cool Breeze attached is very helpful. Looking at the picture, one of the blocks appears to be about the length from her armpit to her elbow. Mine measures about 11 inches. They are large HST's in the picture! So from there, figure how big you want Your blocks to be, how big of a quilt you want (total blocks). Then you can determine how many squares you will need to cut from each fabric (40" width average) and then determine yardage needed. It's really not that hard when you break it down.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

5. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I always figure how big I want the quilt first. Say 72x80. That's 2 yes long and 2 width of 40 inch yardage.. so 4 yes of fabric total. Now allow for waste in cutting and add another yard. If you are only using 2colors then 21\2 yds each. See it's easy

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I am so very math challenged - Would someone pls check this for me? I'd hate to not have enough fabric.

Looking at the picture I'm calling the gray/yellow squares "dark" and the aqua/white squares "light" to keep my brain straight. I'm going with a 12" cut square since I read you need 11 7/8" - rounding it to 12.

So if the fabric is 42" wide I would need 1 1/3yd twice (one cut for each dark) and 1 1/3yd twice (one cut for each light)

Does this even begin to sound right?

Thank you for being patient with me.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one who always likes to be sure. So, if you're going to buy 1 and 1/3 yds of fabric X2, why not buy 3 yds and have a little for your scrap bin. I always like to buy more because usually when I go back to buy more, there isn't any left and then you are out of luck! And, that's only 1/3 yard extra for each color. It's just insurance that you will have the right colors and enough of each when you make the quilt.

9. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like 6 X 8 blocks. That is 24 block of each color set. So you will need 12 squares of each color at 12 ". That is 1 1/3 yrds each color. I would round it up to 1 1/2 yds each to allow for crooked cutting or slight errors

11. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by icwilson View Post
    I am so very math challenged - Would someone pls check this for me? I'd hate to not have enough fabric.

Looking at the picture I'm calling the gray/yellow squares "dark" and the aqua/white squares "light" to keep my brain straight. I'm going with a 12" cut square since I read you need 11 7/8" - rounding it to 12.

So if the fabric is 42" wide I would need 1 1/3yd twice (one cut for each dark) and 1 1/3yd twice (one cut for each light)

Does this even begin to sound right?

Thank you for being patient with me.
    Your thought process is on target,

1 1/3 yards of each of the 4 fabrics, cut into 12 inch squares, then made into hst's will yield you a total of 48 blocks. Laying out the blocks into a 6x8 pattern should give you a finished top appox. 69x92

The nice thing about cutting your squares a little big, is you'll have wiggle room to trim each of the blocks down to a consistent size if any of them are a bit wonky (we've all been there), and still have a nice large block.

13. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much. I'll go with 1.5 yds of each of the 4 colors just to be safe. I really do appreciate all the advice.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You might also want to think about what fabric you will use for backing and binding, and purchase enough for that, too.

16. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post