Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Compare Instant pot with Stove Top Pressure Cooker

Didn't want to hijack Patty's thread on the Instant Pot, but I am wondering how it compares to a stove top.
    I cooked with a stove top PC for years but about 10 years ago, I became a one person household, moved and got a smooth top stove and really just stopped cooking in the pressure cooker.
    My concerns about the stove top is with the smooth top, it retains heat and is kinda difficult to adjust temperature quickly.
    I cook basically from scratch now, even make my own bread, stopped buying canned beans, and at one point had a yogurt maker, (it was too fiddly and precise).
    If you have cooked with a pressure cooker on a stove top and now have an Instant Pot, would you share your thoughts and experiences? Which do you prefer? Is the learning curve on the Instant Pot worth it? Results better or worse?
    Thanks for any insights you can offer.
    Murphy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Compare Instant pot with Stove Top Pressure Cooker

Having used both I think the instant pot is less stressful-no monitoring to make sure the weight is jiggling right. That said all the options/buttons do take some time to figure out.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

everything bakermom said I also like the fact that once your cooking time is finished the instant pot automatically drops into the warming mode to keep the food warm incase you don't get back to it right away. It does have a lot of special feature buttons, I tend to cook using the manual button then setting the cooking time.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much. I am beginning to see the advantages of an electric over stove top. Will probably talk myself into it and use upcoming birthday money to purchase. At least start looking for a "deal". Black Friday isn't that far away.....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've used both and much prefer the Instant Pot. You have the convenience of walking away and letting the pot do the work. Cleanup is easy. Yesterday I made rice for two recipes. Yes, I could do it on the stove and watch it, but this is so much easier and perfect rice! I also had too many eggs so I did some hard boiled eggs for deviled eggs. Again, boiling on the stove is about the same time, however, the shells peel off so easy with the cook & plunge in cold or ice water method that I don't break any eggs and they peel in an instant.

The saute feature is great as you can use the same pot to saute veggies or brown meats and then add the rest of your ingrediets for your receipe, press a button and walk away.

I use the meat & poutry buttons for many meals but I do NOT use the slow cook button; I like my crockpot better. Have not used the yogurt setting.

The pot is awesome to stew or cook a pork shoulder for pulled pork or chicken to be shredded. There are so many things to do with the pot and lots of online receipes.

If you already know how to cook, you'll find that the learning curve is short. Once I find something that's good and works for me, I jot it down in a note pad and add the recipe to my Pinterest account.

I paid $99 , but last year they had it for $79 on the 6qt Duo 7-1 model for Black Friday. I missed the sale but do not regret purchasing the Instant Pot.
    Last edited by Sharyn J; September 9th, 2017 at 03:18 PM.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input, Sharyn! pretty much made up my mind, but on things like this that I just "want" vs "need", I tend to think about for a long time. As a result, once done, I don't have regrets.