Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default When does school start in your area?

My girls (17, 16, and 11) all started school today. I'm happy because by the end of the Summer, they Really need more of a routine! I don't like that I have to pack lunches now though. I've heard that some school districts actually go to school for a few months, have a few weeks off, then more months. They do this all year. I live in Southern New Jersey (USA) and our district starts usually two days after the Labor Day holiday. We live in a very Summer touristy area and most of the tourists leave by Labor Day, thankfully. My girls are off a week between Christmas and New Years and one week around Easter. Regular holidays in between. How does the school year work in your area? Just curious.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

2. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Heather Guest

Default Re: When does school start in your area?

3 weeks ago here. They get all of December off.
    Some schools also have the option of selecting 2 of 3 segments to attend throughout the year. E.g you have school May-Dec but are off Jan-April. I have no idea how parents manage all this.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Grades K-9 starts the first day after Labor Day. Grades 10-12 starts the second day after Labor Day. (High school is 9-12 here and the staggered start allows freshman to get acquainted with the building/classes/etc before the upperclass students show up.)

All grades get quite a few days off for various (frequently bogus) reasons throughout the year, but ultimately the goal is to be done by June 10 or so. They get 2 weeks off for winter break, and one week off for spring break.

The year round school would not be popular here in Minnesota b/c we treasure our summers for many reasons. (Some smaller districts, however, have gone to 4-days per week to save money on transportation. I guess they get around the mandatory number of school days by giving online work to be done on Friday.

We also are in the process of moving our high school start time to about an hour later than it is now. Right now it's 7:30, but next year it will be like 8:45, and the middle school will take the early start time. People have been trying to get that move for years, and it took a horrendous accident in which two high school girls were killed and a third critically injured by a commuter rushing to her job that people finally said enough! and the scheduled was changed. My kids are out of school, but I think it makes sense. If it had been light out, those girls would still be alive, I think. BTW, the accident was not the fault of the high school driver, and the other driver has been charged in their deaths. Accident reconstruction shows she was driving 80 mph in a 50 mph zone.)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It started August 16th, but the kids here get out of school in mid May.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In our area some started today (typical the weds after labor day) some not til tomorrow. My kids have been out for years so not up on much . If lucky the school I pass going and coming from work post days off. Otherwise no busses no school is what I can go by.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Traditional school starts mid August here. We actually have year round and traditional schools in several of our NC counties. Working in the public library we like the traditional schedule better, it gave us more time for programming for preschool and home schooled kids.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I personally think they need to go year round. They forget so much during the summer. I think they should just have two week breaks between quarters.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Chino Valley AZ....School started here Aug 17...(considered year round...but I don't get it) 4 days a week, M-Thurs, 1 week off for Spring break, Fall Break, Christmas Break, Many 3 day weekends, and they usually get out for the summer late 2nd week of May. (I think they have 3 nine week semesters.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Our district started school today. They get quite a few holidays off throughout the year, and days off for teacher conferences. Usually a spring break and winter break of about a week. The school year usually ends around the third week of June.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here in central Connecticut we started August 29. I do wish they would wait until after Labor Day.

When I was a child, my family spent 3 years living in London, UK. We had 3 terms, unlike the 2 semesters we have in the US. The terms went from September through November, then all of December off; January through March, then all of April off; and May through mid-July, followed by six weeks off. I like that schedule better, as it gives families time to travel at the holidays (we were able to get back to the US for Christmas), and the shorter breaks between terms meant less time spent reviewing what the students forgot over the summer.

That said, it would likely not work in the here and now. Most families I know have both parents working, so the scheduling might be a nightmare.