Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Quilt and I want a good start - Where do I go for complete information?

Hi,

I'm going to start with the "Taking Flight" quilt. The tutorial is great, but I have so many beginner questions. I searched Missouri Star tutorials for a beginner tut, but I can't find any.

I need a guide to the complete basics (all in one place).

Does something like that exists? I'd like to find a beginning guide by Jenny.

Thanks - KathyNW

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First Quilt and I want a good start - Where do I go for complete information?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGqlwN6TWFw

I don't know of one by Jenny but there are several free ones on youtube.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

3. Thanks KathleenNW thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First Quilt and I want a good start - Where do I go for complete information?

If you can, check out Craftsy on Monday. Jenny has a couple there. I saw another post on here saying you can watch the classes for free that day.

Craftsy
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

5. Thanks KathleenNW thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jenny's Disappearing 9-patch also called D9P would be a very easy one to start with. You just take 9 squares of equal size (all 4,5, or 6" for example). I should say equal size but they should not be the same fabric, you want them to go together color wise but have some contrast when put side by side. Sew together 3 in each row. You will have 3 separate rows. Iron them flat. Sew the rows together (3+3+3). Iron flat. This is one block. It is called a 9 patch. Now cut your block in half both directions (like a big plus sign one cut up and down and one cut across). Turn the pieces sideways till you like the layout and then sew them back together like you have them laid out. Iron flat You just completed one block. If you can sew a straight line you don't need any other basic instructions and this is one of the videos on Missouri Star Quilt Co. Good luck, you can do it!!

7. Thanks KathleenNW thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know off hand what kind of beginer instructions would help you without knowing how 'beginer' you are.
    Do you know how to thread your machine? Do basic stitches? Can you sew at all?
    Or are you just new to quilt making?

Taking Flight is done with "Half Square Triangles" [often called HST] - a very popular and versatile patch.
    Seeing you're new, why don't you take some ugly or scrap fabric, and try making some HST's first?
    Then you can learn the basics of accurate cutting, sewing 1/4" seam allowances, and what a good stitch looks like, while doing those.

9. Thanks BobW thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Looking through the quilt tutorials, the Zipper quilt and the square in a square would be good beginner quilts. The requirements and written instructions would be in specific Block bookazines that M* sells. I don't have the info of which Block bookazines they are in, but hopefully another member can provide the info should you need it...
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think as a true beginner, you should not make hats yet. Go with straight blocks. Nine patch or maybe check out falling charms

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think grammaterry meant you should not make hst--half square triangles, not "hats." (Probably the dang auto correct we all fight with!) And the Flight pattern you wanted to make is all hst.

13. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing wrong with just making a 4-patch or a 9-patch quilt. Try a 4-patch with some scraps. Sew together 4 squares of the same size. Work at getting a true 1/4" seam. You can do that same practice over and over until you have enough to sew together to make a doll quilt or dog quilt.

I definitely would not advise putting too much angst and expectation into a first quilt. If it isn't perfect, and it probably won't be, you may be discouraged to the point of not trying again.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, agree with not attempting HSTs as a new beginner.
    And I also agree with trying the D9P (Disappearing Nine Patch) as a very good beginner quilt that looks like it was hard to make. The D9P has always been my go-to pattern if I just want something quick and easy to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Sheep Farmer by day........Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

16. Thanks grammaterry, Claire Hallman thanked for this post