Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default For Houston - We Need to Rally

When I read this I wanted to share this here because I know that so many of us here want to help, somehow. Pokey Bolton's Quilt blog post is about how we can rally for Houston. She spends a week out of every month there so she is familiar with the organizations in the community who can help.

http://pokeybolton.com/for-houston-we-need-to-rally/

2. Thanks JulieC, Monique thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: For Houston - We Need to Rally

Thank you so much for posting this. I am a native Houstonian who has lived in North Texas for the last 13 years and am heartbroken at what all those people are going through. I want to donate and highly prefer donating to something local rather than one of the big ones.

4. Thanks Cool Breeze Quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sending the 3 boys from the family I have adopted, quilts for each of them.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

6. Thanks Cool Breeze Quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaniceR View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this. I am a native Houstonian who has lived in North Texas for the last 13 years and am heartbroken at what all those people are going through. I want to donate and highly prefer donating to something local rather than one of the big ones.
    Donating Local is the best way to go!
    The big organizations are overwhelmed!
    If you know someone in the affected area then ask them directly if there is a family you can help out in any way. So many people who where flooded do not have food insurance as they are not in flood plains and have never flooded before!

No gesture is too small!
    Most are not in a position to accept anything right now except food and water.
    But as people are able to clean out in dry out their skeleton houses (down to the studs) they will need furnishings and quilts!! So make them now as people will need them in 1-2 months!!!

I am Lucky as our home was not flooded. I have a long arm and I am going to quilt as many as I can. I will be making very simple tops just to make As many as I can. I will likely even do some whole cloth quilts With the pretty fabrics.
    Last edited by bhaggerty; September 3rd, 2017 at 02:27 AM.
    Happy Quilting!

8. Thanks Cool Breeze Quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Money is really needed. The organizations and people can then buy what they need - dry wall, roofing, appliances etc.

I agree, donating local is the way to help. They have a network already established and can funnel those resources down to those in Texas. If you want to help, go to your local food bank and help out for a day. In the larger cities, I would bet your food bank will be sending a truck or two down this way.

If you want to make quilts and pillowcases, one of the stores in San Antonio will be collecting them and taking them to their store in Katy and donating them to residents in shelters and those in need. For more info see https://siterepository.s3.amazonaws....ine_repair.pdf or look for #QuiltsforHarvey on Instagram. If anyone is going to the retreat this month, I will be happy to take back any donations and send them to this group.

I just got trained for Early Response Training so I'll be going to towns and working to help the folks clean out their homes and get them ready for the next step of rebuilding. Normally when disaster strikes, they try to get help from local teams, but this is too much so they sent out the call for help nationwide. There are teams from Missouri, Tennessee, California, and Arizona to name a few already on their way and that's just the teams from the Methodist Committee on Relief. There are so many coming to help it bursts your heart with joy and pride in our fellow man.

10. Thanks Cool Breeze Quilter, auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My DH works for a large company and they sent out a list of needed items and are sending a truck down there. We bought a large plastic container and filled it full of soap, shampoo, towels, etc and ended with a large box of diapers (which did not fit in the container). Dropped it off at his office.

There should be lists on line somewhere of needed items. They did say in my DH's list to only send new items still in the package. So no prewashing. The towels we bought we left the tags on them so they would know they were new.

And he has done a payroll deduction for the next several months so they can use it to buy food. I would rather send money than food because they can then buy what people there would be able to use.
    Vonnie

12. Thanks Cool Breeze Quilter thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for posting. I like the idea of donating directly to the local charities.

14. Thanks Cool Breeze Quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you can, clean out your closets and garage, and have a garage sale, then donate that money to Harvey victims.
    Or you can donate it to St Vincent de Paul society or Salvation Army and they will use the proceeds to help others.
    After helping "clean out" multiple flooded houses, I am definitely simplifying my life. Less is more. And someone might need the stuff in my closet at some point in the future but no one but a resale shop could take it right now.
    Happy Quilting!

16. Thanks Cool Breeze Quilter, snippet, auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a few sites on FB for adopting specific families. That is one of the ways I have chosen to help. One site Adopt a Harvey Family, is listing specific families that are vetted through hotels they are staying at. They fill out forms once they are placed in a hotel. The other site I have helped on is Harvey Wish List. This site is linked to Amazon with wish lists that families fill out with their specific needs. Each item you purchase is shipped directly to them, and removed from the list, so you can do what you can afford to do. I have found this works for me. The family with the 3 boys has completely touched my heart. The first thing I managed to get to them were a few toys for the boys, and gift cards for food. They will get a shipment of clothes and food Wed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boys toys.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	146284  
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Adopting a family like you have done is wonderful!!!
    Happy Quilting!