Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you do?

The local store near me now has a long arm quilting service.....the machine is set up in the store and from time to time you can see quilts the operator has finished or is working on. This service has been on offer for some months now and I must say that I am rather perplexed with the quilting I have seen and I wonder how the owners of the quilts felt or whether they even noticed. Quilts that have been quilted with different thread colours in top and bobbin consistently have bobbin thread dots showing all over the tops, and with other quilts, the thread wt/stitches seem to me to be very thin and unattractive. Not having any experience with these machines or with professional quilting services perhaps my expectations are unrealisitic but I would be so sad to collect my quilt if it had been quilted like this. What would you do if this happened to you?
    Last edited by just4me; September 1st, 2017 at 08:17 AM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What would you do?

Maybe the quilts you are seeing are not customers quilts, but some that someone is practicing on. I'd find out before leaving my quilt there to be quilted.
    Would I be sad? Considering that I have not ever paid for quilting [yet] yes, I would be upset. I don't have money to waste on a service that is unsatisfactory. Especially if it ruins all my time, money, and efforts to create something nice.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I hope those are practice quilts you have seen, because what you describe is TOTALLY unacceptable in quilting, long arm or otherwise. You may want to ask.

Tension can be finicky on any sewing machine and different threads can often require some tweaking to get that not to happen.

WOW!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh,sounds off to me. I know there's a learning curve after studying about them and deciding I wasn't up to it, but you would think the owners would be supervising the machine to set tensions and get it running smoothly. You might ask who is in charge or simply choose not to use the service

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just quilt my own so have never used a LA service or used a machine at a shop myself. But considering how much money and time is invested just piecing the top I would be very cautious at that place. Ask to see a sample of their work, get some references (if that is possible) and be clear about what thread colors you want used for your quilt. You are paying good money for this service and you don't want to take any chances of them ruining all your hard work.

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would audition quilting services - you know, I want to see samples of their work. Many have a sample swatch book. I don't do a lot of quilting for others (and I quilt on my sewing machine), but I am starting to put together my sample book: a set of 12x24" swatches, with different quilting designs and intensities, threads, and batting. Those swatches will all be washed and dried, so my customers and family will be able to see the effect of the quilting in the completely finished quilt. And that way we can talk type of thread and thickness of thread as well, cause they will see the effect.

I am hoping your quilt shop is perhaps renting time to new quilters or is having qualification class (training on the machine) for new quilters. Of course, I wouldn't train someone with different colors top and bottom thread. It may also be the batting. Some batting is horrid to get a balanced stitch in. I really love Hobbs 80/20 and Quilters Dream select weight - they have enough thickness to let the stitches meet in the middle. Too thin or loose a batting, and the stitches show pops on the top or bottom. Hate that!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I always use the same kind & weight thread & usually the same color both on top & bottom. I make a sample sandwich (same pattern, fabrics & batting) of any quilt I make. I test out the thread, stitching, etc. every time. Also every time I change the bobbin or clean my LA. Adjusting tension on a LA can be tedious (& frustrating!) at times. The quilting you describe is unacceptable. You might want to consider taking your quilt to a professional LA quilter who has a business in her home. Ask for demos. of her quilting or talk to customers who have had work done by them. If you're going to spend big $ for quilting, you want it done right. You always can consider sending your quilt to M*, but don't expect a quick turn around. You might need to wait 4-6 wks. to get it back.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your opinions. No, I wasn't going to have a quilt done there, I do my own on my DSM. However I have an acquaintance who is doing her first quilt and looking to have it quilted at this place. I have tried to explain to her my misgivings about what I have seen but I don't think she really understands the process so is still going to use them. I am dismayed, wondering how many other people may similarly accept this standard as normal.