The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Singer Featherweight C240

Have you seen video on this machine?
    https://youtu.be/cWvQ-IqdbW0

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Singer Featherweight C240

link to store does not show weight nor did singer site, but good ole Amazon had the shipping weight as 22.1 lbs. So it does have metal in it for sure. Of course amazon is stating higher suggested price of $799 and on sale for 508.08. The video said it was going to sale retail for $699 but he was offering $499. I would think pulling/pinching that little black feeder foot, well one would need to be careful and not in a hurry. Looks like a little work horse of a machine for sure. Curious on how the reviews come in for sure.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly they are using the word "Featherweight" because the real featherweight is popular. This is not a featherweight. It IS a Singer C240 - nothing in common with an actual featherweight. I didn't see a feed dog off or down mentioned.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There was a discussion on the Featherweight Facebook site. Not worth spending the money on in my own opinion.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

5. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing like a 'real' Featherweight. This machine is a misnomer IMO.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking for a featherweight and ran across a 91-15. Is it similar? Would that be something I should pursue

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You mean Singer 15-91? they have a potted motor, and are nice, but not really like a featherweight. It's bigger . . . I can't remember if it's considered 3/4 or full size. I have one in a table, that I haven't played with yet. I paid $95 which is almost the full going rate. The lady sold it to me on payments because I wasn't looking for one at the time and she wanted it to go to a good home.
    If you want a FW for travel, get one. There really isn't anything like them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Singer_15-91_02.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	146182

Name:	FW_Case_Tote02.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	146183

9. Thanks grammaterry, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The only good thing I see about this new machine is that they are doing an integrated feed like a Pfaff.

Sorry, not a true Featherweight and I don't think they should have used that name. They are just banking on people buying it for that reason.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

11. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I knew there was a reason I wasn't finding one. So how much would you pay for a featherweight?
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCurious View Post
    You mean Singer 15-91? they have a potted motor, and are nice, but not really like a featherweight. It's bigger . . . I can't remember if it's considered 3/4 or full size. I have one in a table, that I haven't played with yet. I paid $95 which is almost the full going rate. The lady sold it to me on payments because I wasn't looking for one at the time and she wanted it to go to a good home.
    If you want a FW for travel, get one. There really isn't anything like them.

Name:	Singer_15-91_02.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	146182

Name:	FW_Case_Tote02.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	146183

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I paid $325 for my FW including shipping from a lady name Carlotta on FB. It was close to Christmas time, when there's little room for negotiations. People will pay anything at that time of year, just to be able to give one to their beloved. So now is a good time to look. Mine needed some love - the paint wasn't smooth, and I had to work on her to get her to the shiney girl you see now.
    I think you can do better than I did - get a little nicer one for same or less if you don't wait till the holidays.

To date the FW is the most I have paid for any machine. Most of mine were obtained for $20 or less. My Viking that I use for quilting, in the condition mine is in, usually sells for around $300, so I justified the FW because not everything i buy has to be dirt cheap - just most of it. If I took what I paid for all my machines and divided it by the number of machines I have, the FW was a bargain!