Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hurricane Harvey

Port Arthur update from Steve's uncle. Rained another 20 inches since he dumped the barrel noon Tuesday. 20 inches in 24 hours ... 49 inches since noon Saturday. They are in a slab home and it came up to the door threshold. He lives on one of the highest lots in his neighborhood and the rain has subsided.

His wife's FB post said they are very, very thankful. The flooding made them anxious and stressed. They will take the rest of the day to recuperate and roll up their sleeves and start helping their flooded neighbors tomorrow morning.

2. Thanks snippet, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

My youngest daughter (24) lives in Nederland and works in Beaumont. She has evacuated 3 times. She is currently safe in Port Arthur at a Marriott Extended Stay hotel with friends. She and her friends have been watching the helicopter rescues from their hotel window and it has been very emotional for them. We don't know when she will be able to return to her house in Nederland, but apparently her car is still there (thanks to smart car app on Iphone). She posted this on Facebook a few minutes ago. Don't know how much of it is original for her, but I know she thinks the same way.
    Things Hurricane Harvey has taught me:
    1. I really want to ride on a fan boat (in a non-crisis situation)
    2. Make sure you pack extra underwear and extra tshirts (so you don't have to wear the same one over & over again bc the hotel wash room will get a leak)
    3. Always pack a deck of cards. (Twiddling your thumbs gets boring, quick).
    4. Don't forget your floaties.
    5. Make sure you have a friend with a MONSTER truck. *Emphasize monster*
    6. Dust pans make good shovels.
    7. Double check rain boots for multiple holes because ya might as well wear your Chacos.
    8. Buy a drone.
    9. Make sure you're extra soaking wet when caught on camera saluting boaters from the curb.
    10. NEVER name your kid, dog, cat, bird, fish, shark, gator, or boat...... After Harvey.
    11. I'VE NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD TO BE FROM TEXAS.

4. Thanks bhaggerty, snippet, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We are north of Houston and a little north of the Woodlands and we did fine. Lost power for about 16 hours. Had a little over 25 inches of rain but we are at a higher elevation so we were never worried about flooding. We have quite a few trees down within our community and they were the culprits for loss of power. And, for the first time ever, we have several sink holes in the neighborhood ranging from 4' x 4' to 10' x 12' in a friend's yard.

My son was at his restaurant on Saturday afternoon when a tornado touched down a few blocks from him. He was trying to get the customers, who, by the way, were very reluctant to leave their meals, to the back and into the cooler. I spoke to him immediately afterwards and his voice was still shaking. His son, my 11 year old grandson was staying with his maternal grandparents and I started getting texts from his grandfather that they were in a closet because of more tornado warnings. This happened 3 times Saturday night. My son's wife, who is a doctor went to work at the medical center on Thursday morning and was not able to get out until Tuesday afternoon because of the flooding preventing her leaving and doctors reaching the med center.

It is beyond sad to see what is happening to people south and east of us. Pray for them.
    Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

6. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Gerri, it's good to hear from you. I've been wondering about you. Glad you are safe and dry.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

8. Thanks Grandma G, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad your daughter is safe. I sure hope the water recedes and she can get back home. The bad part is that there will be so much to do when she is able to return. How can you rebuild and keep your job without going crazy? oh gosh, I pray for everyone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Per some friends, price gouging for gasoline has already started. Pass the word to report it here. 1-800-621-0508

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We are blessed here in AZ. We DO watch the reports on TV, are fortunate to NOT have family or friends in this area, but our hearts are heavy for ALL affected, who are losing their homes, all that is dear to them, and wondering how they will ever live life again in a normal manner. Prayers for all affected by this horrible result of the elements...weather
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Gas prices ~ My gr. dau. lives in Dallas. She waited in a long line of cars to get gas today, not even knowing if there would be gas by the time she got to the pumps. She had to pay $3.35/gal, which is expensive for TX. I noticed the prices in my Colo. town went up at least 10 cents a gal. My son in MD said prices were up 20 cents a gal. there.