Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough Grilled Steak fixes?

I grilled some strip steaks yesterday and they were tough, edible but tougher than usual. Don't know why except while they were searing, the propane tank ran out and I had to change it out. The grill temp dropped to about 300 before I noticed that it was out and took about 10 minutes to change tanks. That was the only "different" thing that happened. My question is can they be "fixed" to make the meat more tender? Mainly curious and wonder if anyone else has had this happen?
    Murphy

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tough Grilled Steak fixes?

cut them up and put in a slow cooker i did this with tough cooked meat
    Gale

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It may have been that leaving the steak for 10 minutes continued the cooking cycle so that it was done and when you continued to cook it that gave you a really done or over done steak. I hated steak until I took over grilling duties from DH. I realized he was overcooking the steaks, hamburgers and chicken and it was dry and tough. I toss the steak on the grill, set my timer for three minutes, flip the steak and cook for three more minutes and take it off the grill. I cover the plated steak with foil and set the timer for five minutes. I always use an inch thick steak and it comes out perfect.
    DH the butcher just happened to be sitting here. He gave me a rather long tutorial on steak The strip steak comes from the end of the loin and it's not as tender as other cuts because it's in an area of muscle that moves a lot. (that's why the fillet mignon is fork tender, it's in the middle where the muscle doesn't move much)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know about the frequently used muscle cuts. I always knew that some cuts were tougher, but wasn't exactly sure why. I am not a good steak chef (grill master?) but I can cook a mean pot roast. If you have a tough cut of meat, gotta cook it slow. Tender meat, gotta cook it fast.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

DH doesn't have many teeth left, so I started cutting steaks up, season them and throw them in the crock pot. I miss having grilled steaks, but at least he can eat them now.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would slice very thin, saute some onions, green peppers, mushrooms and toss in the sliced steak for sandwiches. As others sid, slow cooker should work too.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, you're gonna need some slow cooking and moisture to fix it.

Cut it small and use for chili might be an idea.

Cut it against the grain (or a long diagonal) to break up the fibers and simmer in a nice mushroom gravy. If it's really tough, you might need to simmer it in a tomato based sauce and allow the acids to break down the fibers.

8. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I was afraid that 10 min lapse in cooking was the problem. I have cooked these strip steaks many times and this is the first time they were tough. I will try slow cooking for a bit and see what happens.
    I used to have a gadget on my tank that let me know how low the gas was but it seems to have disappeared. Gotta get another one ASAP.