Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default cell phone plans

We are looking at getting new phones-first time smart phone for me-and looking to change providers also. If you don't mind sharing, who do you have? What phone do you have? is it worth it? Any input you can share will be a big help, my local friends just tell me to go with their plan so they are not a big help.

Thanks!!!!
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: cell phone plans

For me the key is reception, reception, reception. If you go with a provider that has crappy reception where you will be then you will be very unhappy. Cities are better covered by most cell providers, in the country and mountains the coverage is more sparse.

Check out the provider's coverage maps for your area. That can help you a lot.

In terms of phones, you first have to decide iphone or android. I'm an android user and love it. But you know iphone users love their phones too. I just like the option of different android companies. I've really liked Samsung's Galaxy phone models and have had several of them.

Also, you need to decide whether you want to buy outright or rent the phone. That's my term for it, but I think the phone companies call it something different. And there are variations where you buy a phone and then you can get a new one at a discount. Or you lease a phone and get the new models every year or two. There are a bunch of ways they can sell the phones.

Then you need to decide what type of plan you want. Again, the companies have a bunch of options here. The plan I have is shared with my son. We used to have unlimited everything - data and minutes, but recently I went with a 3G data limit plan shared between us. It's worked out fine and it's much cheaper.

btw, I have Sprint as my provider and I have a Galaxy 5S. I've been thinking about getting a new phone, but I really like this one. So, instead of spending $$ for a new phone, I just ordered a $10 battery and I'm good!
    Last edited by snippet; August 19th, 2017 at 09:56 PM.

3. Thanks asta thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a smart phone (yet)... but I have verizon for the reason of reception. My honey lives in vegas and verizon had the best coverage and no dropped calls, and I used to go back and forth from so. cal to vegas quite often, but now my job only allows for remote work from home once in a while, not outta state for couple weeks at a time like I used to do.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We have republic wireless . We are remote and rural and it works better than the two local providers. No stores, no tech guys! But a 30 day no questions asked return policy on the phone. Only available on line at republic wireless.com. we pay $12 each for unlimited talk and text and if you have a wireless connection, unlimited data. Cell data is $7.50 a gig but there are other plans.

6. Thanks asta thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Snippet - coverage is key and then which plan is going to offer best value for how you use your phone. Going for the least expensive plan is just going to frustrate you if you can't make a call without hanging out the window! Think about coverage not just at home but also other places you regularly spend time (family homes, vacation spots etc.) I have AT&T and a Samsung Galaxy S6 and am happy with both. I mainly got the Galaxy because my work phone was an android and I really didn't want to deal with learning how to use the iPhone operating system - lazy, I know. I also like that there are lots of manufacturers of android phones - Motorola, HTC and LG also have their fans, and are often less expensive. If you already have an iPad or a Mac laptop then the iPhone might be more intuitive for you.

Think about how you are going to use your phone. If you want it to be your primary camera then you might want to research which are best for that. How big do you want your phone to be? If you are using it a lot to check websites, watch videos etc you might want a larger screen - but they can be heavy and clumsy for actually making a phone call.

Phone companies will often gently push you towards the biggest (ie most expensive plan) and it can be difficult to decide if you don't know how much data you will use. Try to go into a store, if you can, and find out how easy it is to switch between plans. For example, if do a lot of summer road trips and you will want to use your phone as GPS would it be possible to have a plan that includes more data for the summer but switch back to a smaller plan for the rest of the year.
    Slainte!

Liz

8. Thanks asta thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As Carol has said reception, reception and reception. We have a local company that we go with. The hard part around here is the limited cellular service in certain areas due to lack of towers and the valleys with no matter which company you go with.

As part of our plan, we had our choice of a couple different free phones we if we wanted. I have the I-phone 5 and I do like. One of the other big recommendations that I have is to make sure you get a protective case in case it gets dropped. I believe that I have an Otterbox and it has protected the phone from several drops that would have broken the phone.

10. Thanks asta thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you do a search for wireless coverage maps you will see what company has most coverage for where you will use your phone. I found this site that generates their data from user reporting rather than what the companies say they cover: https://opensignal.com/networks First type in USA; then select All at the bottome of the list; finally hit View Map. On the next page you can then select each individual company to see their coverage area.

AT&T has worked best for us since most of our travel was east of the Mississippi and (as retired military) we get a discount off regular rates. We did get dropped service in some rural areas of northern Missouri and southern Iowa when we went from Hamilton to the Dells last year but quickly got service as we neared a city.
    Last edited by Judy, USMC; August 20th, 2017 at 01:50 AM.

12. Thanks asta thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Verizon here because it has the best coverage areas across the country. Sprint has a lot of dropped calls in the Albuquerque area and AT&T has very poor signals here as well. Verizon isn't the cheapest, but I am happy with it. I have an Android based phone and a Motorola Droid. I like it, it's about 4 or 5 years old and still works pretty well.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judy, USMC View Post

AT&T has worked best for us since most of our travel was east of the Mississippi and (as retired military) we get a discount off regular rates. We did get dropped service in some rural areas of northern Missouri and southern Iowa when we went from Hamilton to the Dells last year but quickly got service as we neared a city.
    Judy, there are parts around here in rural areas of northern Missouri and southern Iowa that it would not matter which company you have, there is no service from any cell phone company. And no matter how many complaints, nothing has changed.

15. Thanks shirleyknot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are areas like that in Oregon too. If you don't have a certain companies service, you have no service from the cell towers there. We have Sprint, but live in a large metro area and normally don't have problems at all....except for where we had dinner tonight and the grandgirl was trying to reach us and couldn't!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!