Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: cell phone plans

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    There are areas like that in Oregon too. If you don't have a certain companies service, you have no service from the cell towers there. We have Sprint, but live in a large metro area and normally don't have problems at all....except for where we had dinner tonight and the grandgirl was trying to reach us and couldn't!
    Pat, you might have her try to text you if she can not reach you by calling. Sometimes texting because it is data and can go in small pieces will go through when calling will not. In some places around here, that is what people have to do.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Quilting View Post
    Pat, you might have her try to text you if she can not reach you by calling. Sometimes texting because it is data and can go in small pieces will go through when calling will not. In some places around here, that is what people have to do.
    She was calling from a landline, she has no cell. I tried texting her sister and the text would not go thru at all. Neither MM or I had any bars.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I have US Cellular and have had it for years.I live in a rural area and the only time we have problems is in the hills and valleys and that is just spotty. I have a Samsung S5 and that is several years old and still working good.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I agree coverage is everything having said that I find Verizon to be the best of the most expensive. Are use T-Mobile for me coverage is good for where I map and the cost is very reasonable.

House for a phone I fed both Samsung and the iPhone I personally prefer the iPhone. I have the iPhone 6s Plus Are use my phone a lot use it to do searching on the Internet or use it to talk face-to-face and see my children and my friends are use it for email. Are use the calendar for all my appointments goes to my computer send my husband's computer so we never have conflict in appointments. Use it to text a lot. I also found when I left Samsung and went to the iPhone the iPhone is much more user-friendly.

I can also use my phone to listen to music streaming programs to watch because I do when I'm sewing.

I don't own any more cameras I use my phone which has an amazing camera on it

I love the program called Siri with my iPhone I can ask it to read my new text and ask it to type and send a text and ask her to search for things on the Internet it's just absolutely amazing

But be sure and check out all the different phones and all the different services

Good luck with your research
    Pam
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a tracfone. No plans, no worries. Buy my minutes prepaid and service. Uses the verizon towers. Can call, text with no issues unless you get higher in the mountains there are a few spots where its sketchy. google works as good or better then Siri. Whole family uses tracfone and loves it. Except hubby who has an Iphone that is provided by is job. Much prefer my tracfone to his Iphone. All ours have cameras but still maintain my digital for better pics. I even took my old tracfone on a cruise to the carribbean and could call all the way back home to the kids till we were out of us waters. I would never buy a 6 or 7 hundred dollar phone and plans costing 1 to 2 hundred a month waste of money when tracfone does the same thing without the price.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

6. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Quilting View Post
    Judy, there are parts around here in rural areas of northern Missouri and southern Iowa that it would not matter which company you have, there is no service from any cell phone company. And no matter how many complaints, nothing has changed.
    Its the same for large areas of northern Arkansas. NO ONE will get us any kind of wireless signal here.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In South Texas and the hill country there are areas that just don't get service or, even worse to me, is hit and miss. A few of my cousins live on ranches and don't have cell service. They have their phones turned off in the truck and only use it when they are in town.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Snippet.....coverage is the most important and since we're all likely in different areas what works for one of us might not for another. With that said though, we have ATT and have been mostly happy with their service other than the price...and we even get a discount off our bill due to a work affiliation. My oldest son is a techy and he switched a couple years ago to Project FI which is a google based phone plan and not traditional but their phone plans are so much more inexpensive. The downside is you need to get your own phone which can be a bit pricey compared to companies like ATT and sprint which let you finance the phones. However, is plan is much cheaper and he gets a lot of unlimited services. The Project Fi works off wifi signals and other towers. As soon as our phones are paid off with ATT we are switching to them.

My son started with them when it was a trial plan and they only accepted so many through the trial but now it's open to everyone.

Just google: Project Fi and it will give you the info.
    Teresa

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So much wise advice here! There are so many things to consider. Example - I live near Lake Erie, which swallows the signal. Forget about Verizon and T Mobile near me. I have ATT for that reason, and I get a senior discount. So to me, all cell phone choices are local, and you really have to do your homework. Starting with that coverage map someone else cited is a good first step. Also important is taking time to read the manual and do your homework to keep your data charges down. Learn how to set your phone! Don't rely on your grandkid or teenage neighbor to set it up for you and then grin about your naivete! I had a friend that played that game until she got socked with a huge bill and wanted to blame the phone company. Use wi-fi whenever possible to keep the data usage to a minimum. Learn about hot spots and how your phone is vulnerable if you use public wi fi spots. You really need a crash course to stay safe and avoid surprise huge bills. There are lots of phone choices out there. And high pressure sales tactics. Right now you don't know what you will be using your phone for the most. My own personal changes - I rarely make phone calls to most people now. I mostly text and so do my friends. OTOH my son and I talk on the phone for hours at a time during his long commute and my long daily dog walk. We didn't do that before. I constantly listen to audible books. I can switch back and forth between reading on the phone Kindle app and the audible narration for the book. Adore this! Has made everything so much more enjoyable - like laundry, gardening, house cleaning. And you download those, and those files are tiny so little data use involved. Music streaming is data though. Videos will send your data use through the roof unless you are using wi fi, not data. BTW, I have a google phone, the Nexus 6. It's getting a little bit dated, and google now calls it the Pixel. It's one of the bigger phones - great for my eyes! Camera so so. I like this phone so much that I plan to keep it a few more years. I've never said that before. Good luck!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice, I will have to do some more research, have DH go with me to talk to a few providers. I will also be getting a new blood sugar monitor and this has an app that can help track my sugar levels so I guess I need to find out which plans are compatible with my new meter.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!