Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Monday: Trivia

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monday: Trivia

Well the excitement starts today and some are super geeked while others are yawning.....(who could that be?) Here's some interesting stuff and maybe known already, but thought I'd mention it anyway. Hope y'all get the chance to enjoy the eclipse, no matter your level of darkness. I'm in the path of about 78%, but I'm happy and excited about it! Enjoy it while ya can, the next total eclipse where most of us in North America will view it, is on 8 April 2024!

Attachment 145957

Just before a total eclipse you’ll see a diamond ring effect. There’s a glow around the moon’s orb plus a diamond-like burst of sunlight.

During the total eclipse you’ll also see Baily’s Beads. It’s where the sun peeks out from the moon’s craters. The phenomenon was first explained by English astronomer Francis Baily in 1836.

Attachment 145958

There will be 69 solar eclipses in the next 100 years, but many will only be seen over water.
    Last edited by Star lover; August 21st, 2017 at 07:09 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Monday: Trivia

We are ready to see the eclipse here. We all have eclipse glasses. We are in the path of between 70 and 75% totality. It should be around 2 or 2:30 in my area I should be just home from work to enjoy it. Last eclipse was 100% and I was in high school. We have also seen Halley's comet and Hale-Bopp comet.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

3. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Northeast Ohio will get to see around 80%. My boss purchased 50 of the special sunglasses and is having a solar eclipse party outside for the big event this afternoon. The eclipse will start just after 1 pm EST and max out around 2:30 pm here.

I have a dentist appointment late this morning, but hope to be back at work in time for the big show.

5. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm at 99%. Yesterday a customer from the unca physic Dept brought us two pair of glasses!! I've been lookiing everywhere for some and DH made me an old school shadow box but this will be better. I am so exhausted from the weekend but by 2pm I should be revived. This is a big deal. People were traveling yesterday trying to get to the totality path. Most were from Maryland or Massachusetts. Mixed feelings among locals.

7. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Where we used to live will be darker than here in Jacksonville. Right now, we've just had a morning storm, so we're hoping the clouds will break. For me, I'll watch it on TV.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

9. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post