Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: adding binding by machine...Why is it SO MESSY for me?

Many years ago I too hemmed jeans and saw that when I came to the seam the front of the foot was going upward. All I do is press down on the toes and sew. Not sure how that would work on the snap on feet we have now.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JulieC View Post
    Jordan Fabrics has a binding video, where she sews the binding on the front, then instead of hand stitching it to the back, she folds it over and stitches in the ditch from the front. This way, the front is pretty, but you could still have issues on the back. I haven't tried it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgjp4Upt8w
    I started doing my binding just like that about a year ago and my quilts look SO much better. I also use glue sticks to baste the binding on each time, then iron aND wonderclip. Taking the time to glue baste it juuuuuuust right means my seam on the back is MUCH neater than before.

3. Thanks Marley thanked for this post
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JulieC View Post
    Jordan Fabrics has a binding video, where she sews the binding on the front, then instead of hand stitching it to the back, she folds it over and stitches in the ditch from the front. This way, the front is pretty, but you could still have issues on the back. I haven't tried it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgjp4Upt8w
    That is basically what I do, from the description. Using clips instead of pins helps a lot, as does pressing when you bring the binding from front to back. Clip as you go with the pressing.

I often still have a little section I have to fix, but I am getting better!

Definitely use a walking foot.

sarahquiltswithcats.wordpress.com