Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: adding binding by machine...Why is it SO MESSY for me?

I know how frustrating it is not to have a nice finish binding. I have used MSQ binding method but my problem is in some areas the binding is not wide enough to roll over to the front. I use 2.5 inches WOF fold in half I use 1/4 inch foot but for some reason I come up short in some areas when I fold over to the front. I can't seem to make it work. I have notice if I press the binding over first I don't seem to have as much touble. I only use a simple zig zag sitch to cover up my mistakes. Maybe in time we both will have nice neat binding.

2. Thanks Kenz thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Walking foot for sure!

4. Thanks Kenz, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kathys View Post
    I know how frustrating it is not to have a nice finish binding. I have used MSQ binding method but my problem is in some areas the binding is not wide enough to roll over to the front. I use 2.5 inches WOF fold in half I use 1/4 inch foot but for some reason I come up short in some areas when I fold over to the front. I can't seem to make it work. I have notice if I press the binding over first I don't seem to have as much touble. I only use a simple zig zag sitch to cover up my mistakes. Maybe in time we both will have nice neat binding.
    I have that problem also. Mine is because my first seam to attach the binding is wonky. I attribute that to wrestling my machine to feed the fabric through. Sometimes my seam is 1/4 in and sometimes I veer off track and its more or less that the 1/4, resulting in too much or too less of binding to fold over! I'm just wondering how to get it to feed without pulling or pushing fabric through. I use the walking foot, but even then, I have difficulty. I know it's operator error to an extent, but I can sew a good seam with two layers of fabric. Once I have to sew the quilt sandwich plus binding layers, heaven help us!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Is the problem occurring more when you are stitching over a pieced section with it's own seam?i.e. you are stitching over many more pieces of fabric in certain areas? If that's the case perhaps try ironing your quilt top piece with the seams ironed open for your outside areas where the binding will go?

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    Is the problem occurring more when you are stitching over a pieced section with it's own seam?i.e. you are stitching over many more pieces of fabric in certain areas? If that's the case perhaps try ironing your quilt top piece with the seams ironed open for your outside areas where the binding will go?
    It happens on the entire seam when I'm adding the double fold binding to the quilt sandwich. It just gets stuck and I have a ton of stitches in a small space, which is not what I intended. It happens because the machine plus walking foot is just not feeding well. I have a lower end model Baby Lock (Rachel). Admittedly, it's not a robust machine. But, I only use it for cotton fabrics in clothing and quilts. I've made several dresses that require me to sew over a thick seam. I swear the machine is screaming for help when I do any sort of thick seam where there is a "hump" to get over.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

HOW I BIND MY QUILTS: (Bear in mind I'm a bit of a perfectionist & like things done right.)

First, I do some prep work. When the quilting all is done, I press the borders all the way around which makes it easier to trim off the excess fabric & batting. I start by squaring all 4 corners with my 15.5" sq. ruler, then finish trimming the reminder with my 6.5" x 24" ruler. I also cut & stitch together all the binding strips. Length = sum of all 4 sides + 10 extra". I do this ahead of time so I don't have to change needles later on. I lay the joined binding strips on my ironing board & roll them on to the cardboard tube. I put a double layer of yarn through the opening of the tube & make it long enough to form a "necklace" so I can hang this around my neck.

One question: Do you have an extension table to your DSM or is your machine recessed in a table top so you have a flat surface on which to work? If you don't, this may be why you're having more problems. I have an extension table, which I wax before any project. This provides a nice flat, smooth surface for your quilt to slide across. Definitely use a walking foot to manage the extra thickness, & start with a new quilting 90-14 needle.

I usually start the binding ~1/2 way down on the right side of my quilt. I use 2.5" wide binding WOF which I fold as I go. I do not iron it ahead of time. Pin the binding to the quilt top leaving at least 12" or more unsewn. Start sewing after that. With my walking foot, I know where the 1/4" is, so I follow that guideline. I use medium speed & a 3.0 stitch. I use my Machinger glove on the L. hand to help hold the quilt top & binding. Wearing your necklace of strips, gradually feed the binding & stitch. I try to plan ahead so I don't have a binding seam hit at a corner. If it happens, it's doable, just bulky.

When you come to a corner, I just sew off the edge. No back stitching, in case you need to remove 1 or 2 stitches to accurately line up the mitered corner. Remove the quilt from the machine, adjust or trim any loose threads, miter the corner. I use 1 pin on the L. side to secure the binding. Continue sewing all the way around the quilt. When you come to the last side, leave at least another 12" or so open to allow space to secure the two ends of the binding. Avoid stretching the binding during the joining process. I remove all the pins, smooth out the binding & re-pin, crossing the L. end of the binding over the top of the first end. Pin in place. I use a ruler to mark the L. end with a Frixion pen. Remove all the pins again. Trim the L. end of the binding. Join the 2 ends in the regular method, press. Re-pin, & stitch down the last of the binding.

Trim all the loose threads all the way around. Press just the seam to "set the seam", not the whole binding. Now you're ready to turn over the quilt to the back side & fold over the binding from the front. Use a seam gauge & pin the hem the same width all the way around. (I have never used the clips.) I just looked at my seam gauge; it's set on ~14 cm, which is just a hair past 1/2". When it's all pinned, I press the bindings & edges both front & back, avoiding any plastic tips on pins. I sew SITD on front; it will catch the edges on the back. Sometimes I have to make minor adjustments at a corner, but most of the time, it works well. I always hand stitch the 4 corners on the back side with about 3 stitches to secure it well. Maybe these 3 pics of the "necklace" & WIP will help. This was the COC quilt I made last year.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First COC Quilt & Applique - May 2016 006.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	145792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First COC Quilt & Applique - May 2016 007.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	145793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First COC Quilt & Applique - May 2016 008.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	145794

I use the binding method I learned in my first quilting class. Our instructor gave us a print-out of "Joining the Ends of Double-fold Binding", directions & photos by Shelley Rodgers, Walnut Creek, CA. E-mail: pirate_sr@hotmail.com , copyright January 2008. I don't see a web site. I hope this is helpful for some of you.

P.S. ~ I just Googled this & it's available under "The Dread Pirate Rodgers Ending Double-Fold Binding Page. I found it just by Googling "Joining the Ends of Double-fold Binding." You can print our your own instructions & photos.
    Last edited by JCY; August 13th, 2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

9. Thanks SallyO'Sews, Star lover, Ctbab, Kenz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you are having problems but it sounds like it is your machine rather than your method. Some machines ae just not strong enough for the thicknesses involved in quilting.
    Perhaps a friend might have a machine you could use for this. Have a fun sew day together.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I was having to pull my binding through as well, turned out my feed dog gears were wearing out and had to be adjusted. You shouldn't have to work that hard for it to feed, especially if using a walking foot. Also, if you are getting areas with a lot of small stitches, the weight of your quilt may be dragging it down or it could be hanging up on the edge of your machine or table. It needs to be free to move in front of the needle.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I put my binding on by machine too. I found that if I ran the quilt through my serger first that it helped. Then I knew my layers were staying together. Then when I put binding on I use my MuVit foot from my Brother Dream Machine. It helps keep it all straight.
    Susan Davis
    Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried using a "Hump Jumper"? Changed my life! Okay, not like marriage, motherhood, or Jesus did, but still...
    My machine actually came with one, but I never knew how to use it until a couple of years ago. Now I never turn a corner without one! Here's a very old video that shows how to use it:http://www.ask.com/youtube?q=hump+jumper&v=ZKdW_vIZLBo

You can buy them here:
    http://www.wawak.com/The-Hump-Jumper

14. Thanks Kenz thanked for this post