Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default long wait for machine to be serviced

A bit of a rant...just called the shop where I purchased my Janome in 2015 to ask about bringing it in for a check-up. It's running a little loud, nothing I'm worried about. I was told there is a 3 week wait time. My next question: if there really isn't anything wrong with it, and instead of not having the use of my machine for at least 3 weeks, can't I make an appointment? Nope. The machines just sit there and wait their turn. Her next comment was interesting. "of course if you would like to have rush service where the machine gets to the bench in 3 days, that's an additional $30."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: long wait for machine to be serviced

Sounds like my local dealer, except no priority deals. I just don't understand why they can not do appointments, Dr.s do, dentist does hairdresser does, car repairs do, even my vacuum guy takes appointments! This would make things so much more convenient for us and maybe bring us in more often if we knew we would only be without for a couple days. I have been dropping mine off just prior to going to M* Forum retreat and then I have only to wait a week or so for it to be done.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I guess 30 isn't a lot but if everyone did that it'd still be 3 weeks

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I called about a service last week and they also had a three week wait. But they also offered a service where I make an appointment in three weeks , bring in the machine and wait 4 hours for it to be serviced. I think I may do that.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's a two or three week wait here as well. You take it in and then they transport them to their main shop about 20 miles away. No clue if they have the priority service or not. Last time Jack broke, MM fixed him for me.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The shop I use for my vintage machines, usually has a several weeks wait also. The gentleman explained to me the reason, with all the different makes and models out there, they can't possibly keep in stock every single possible part needed (or even the most common), so most parts have to be ordered.

If the shop places a "small" order then they pay a higher price for the parts, as apposed to if they have a larger order, then their discount is higher, and they are able to keep our (the customer) cost down.

So they diagnosis as many machines as they can, and place one large order each week to maximize the discount and reduce shipping costs as well.

The upside is, if your machine only needs a cleaning & oiling, and they can do it in house, chances are, even if they told you 3 weeks, you'll probably get it back much sooner than that.

7. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I just wish my shop would have a hour or two a couple times a week so people could make an appt for 15 minutes or so for a quick triage - that way if it is something silly like a bad bobbin then or lint trapped somewhere, boom, it's done and I'm not left to my own devices (with too much time to buy more fabric. ahem.) for 3-4 weeks for that little bitty thing. I don't mind too much waiting a few weeks for the annul maintenance or a replacement part, etc, but if nothing is really wrong besides operator doofusness, then 3 weeks is kinda a long time.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I was w/o my Bernina for almost 2+ months. The wait to service was 6 weeks alone. The part that most annoyed me was I told them the EXACT part that the machine needed and once it finally earned its turn with the repairman they called and said 2-3 weeks to get the part. I said yeah I knew it needed that months ago when I left it. then when it was done I was out of state and they acted like I was inconveniencing them by not picking it up. .
    Heather

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This is my pet peeve as well. Why should I leave my machine for routine maintenance and be without it for 2-3 weeks? I want an appointment, not "leave it here and we'll get to it when we can." If you know you won't get to it for two weeks, that's two weeks I could be sewing! Can you imagine if an auto repair shop told you to drop your car off for an oil change and they'd get to it in a couple of weeks? Why should we accept that poor customer service for our sewing machines?

Fortunately, there is more than one option in my city. When I broke something on my Bernina, I called another Bernina dealer/repair place. When I dropped it off, I asked about turnaround time. They had it done in a day, and for a lot less money than I expected. I know where I will be taking it for service from this point forward. Good customer service brings good customers.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chelea View Post
    "of course if you would like to have rush service where the machine gets to the bench in 3 days, that's an additional $30."
    Also known as "Extortion."