Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have you ever tried to stop purchasing fabric?

When I am looking through my fabric stash I am asking myself why I keep buying fabric. I have enough for several quilts and I love all of this wonderful fabric. Then I feel bad, because I could save the money for other things (furniture, holidays, retirement.....) and then I decide not to purchase any fabric until I used up at least 50% of my stash.
    This purpose lasts until I run into the next beautiful fabric....how long have you ever been able not to purchase new fabric? Do I need an exorcism?
    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Have you ever tried to stop purchasing fabric?

If I stopped buying........I would go mad! As been said many times. It's therapy! and for me joy, peace, an outlet.
    I too have enough....but then again, never enough! I figure in retirement, when $ is tight, I'll still have fabric to keep be sedate!

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For the past 3 years, the only fabric I have bought was what was needed to finish a project (5 yards in 3 years). I don't have a problem NOT buying fabric. I have a problem finding spare money for it. I know my limits.

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, cv quilter, Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lol Auntie Uli, I know how you feel! Now that I am retired I realize how much of my wardrobe spending was just retail therapy. I have stopped that entirely and since I have a stuffed closet, I can get by and only buy things on sale when they are greatly reduced. On the other hand, quilting fabric acquisition has been much more difficult to get a handle on. I guess because I have only been quilting around 3 years, I was starting from scratch. I made some decisions about reducing other expenses like restaurant meals and book buying and put that money towards a quilting budget. But there are so many times that I have exceeded that budget when a new collection from a favorite designer comes out. I'm getting better at it, though. I made a pact with myself that if I bring in new stuff I will make up a quilt from stash fabric that I am not so in love with any more. I have reached the limit of what I want to store in my downsized living space.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am currently on a strict budget and fabric buying had to stop. I have plenty to last me a good long time. I know there are so many pretty fabrics to buy, but I also know that when I am ready to buy again, there will many more pretty fabrics. It is not easy. It is only about 2 months or so now that I have not purchased any fabric. But I keep window shopping online. I do watch for amazing sales on other quilting items in case something shows up that would be good to add. But that is very rare as well right now. Hmmm, exorcism might work, lol.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's a struggle for sure. I don't have much yardage in my stash but I do have enough precuts and matching yardage for about 15 quilts. And that makes me anxious. I've purchased precuts and forgotten which pattern I was considering and I've purchased precuts that I no longer care for. So here's what I'm doing to curb my spending: 1. I've noticed that fabric designers stick to pretty much the same color way for each of their lines so there isn't any urgency to purchase that fabric; when I'm ready to make a quilt using fabric from my favorite designer, their current line is sure to be something I like. 2. I put things on a wishlist. After a while I'll either lose interest or it goes out of stock. 3. Try to only buy fabric on sale; never pay full price. 4. I allow myself one little indulgence. I love 30's fabric so I collect just one charm pack if they are a daily deal. I'm getting better at resisting the urge to buy fabric just because I think it's pretty.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

why continue to buy fabric...cos it's there & so pretty. And because you can always find room to store it. Best reason is cos you can!

jus' sayin'
    Gina

12. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a yearly quilting budget. It includes all quilt related costs including classes, fabric, pattern, batting, everything. I adjust my budget every year for my projected circumstances. If there are too many family and friend events needing a quilt I ask my DH for some financial help. Otherwise, as long as I stick to my budget it is my choice what to spend it on.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, cv quilter, Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we were all lucky enough to actually have a quilting budget. Mine consists of 'if I'm lucky enough to sell a quit for decent money, I can afford to buy a little fabric'.

16. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not on a quilting budget but I try to keep myself on a short leash. I was doing great until last week when I fell off the wagon completely and spent about $100 on charm packs and yardage. At least I bought stuff I know I will use on my next project. For the time being I am trying to be strong and not even peek at the DD or FQS flash sales because that is always what gets me into trouble. CP are my weakness because they seem so reasonably priced especially if they are on sale.

18. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Auntie Uli thanked for this post