Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making notes

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Making notes

yep do notes in books if I own them and have notes scattered all over and tucked in with fabric if the pattern is a picture from pinterest on my laptop. Sometimes the old brain needs help.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

2. Thanks toggpine thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I make notes in my patterns when needed. If I am using my Stripology ruler I often write down my cutting line lines - ex: strip 4.5 -9 - 13.5 - 18. That way I don't have to remember as I am cutting. It might sound lazy but it helps me in case I get interpreted.

4. Thanks toggpine, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love notes and marginalia in books. Mine and other people's. Once I discovered a library book with corrections to the book in margin. As I read more books on same subject, I found more margin notes from same person. I loved it. And yes, I know they were library books, but I loved it none the less. I wouldn't do it, but it added to my reading pleasure.
    I don't read pattern books because reading the number of squares and rectangles to be cut intimidates me. I just figure it out as I go. I am sure notes would be welcomed by me.

6. Thanks toggpine thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

And check marks to show myself how far I have gotten in my cutting or which step I am doing. I usually use pencil or fixxion pen so it can be removed if needed.

8. Thanks Old Newbie, LLLinda, toggpine thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't written in quilting books but I have post it notes in my cookbooks for "help" with instructions or rating the recipe (I also have big X marks on the recipes I didn't like).
    I purchased a couple of patterns and found the directions didn't work for me. I made a copy of the pattern pages, cut the copies apart, moved the steps around until I could follow them and glued them to a piece of copy paper. That way I could write on the copies and keep the pattern intact.

10. Thanks Old Newbie, toggpine thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, thanks for bringing up this "dirty little secret" issue. Yes I do underline critical steps, write notes to myself, draw out the direction to press or rewrite directions. All patterns are not created equal, and some need translation! Recipes, too. Comments about changes I make to a recipe or amounts if I cut it in half, etc. I paid for the book, so I make the best use of it for my purposes. Glad to see I am in very good company here. I've never seen someone start this discussion, and thx.

12. Thanks Old Newbie, toggpine thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh this is a post near and dear to me. I write in the patterns/books the date I made it and for whom I made it. Sometimes I even staple in small squares of fabric that was used in the quilt. If a particular part was tricky I write how I figured it out. My cookbooks are like diaries. My son was using my cookbook a little while ago to make bread (he is now 45) and in the book I wrote "______ made this for the first time November 21, 1982 It tasted great!" So he said I really made this? He didn't even remember then he continued to search and found all kinds of interesting tidbits of information in there. He even called his brother on the phone and read about something that his brother made. Found a recipe that my sister and I made and we wrote "disaster, don't even try this again. Tough and hard like teething biscuits" These some cookies that we were making for a party.

14. Thanks Old Newbie, toggpine thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

You bet I do! I write all over my books and patterns. Sometimes I practically re-write them to my liking. I also use painters tape to mark yardage if I'm doing a different size quilt than the book/pattern calls for. It's easy to take off when I'm done!

16. Thanks toggpine thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I'll write in them, and I'll have the binding cut off and have it re-bound with a comb or spiral, so it will lay flat.

18. Thanks Old Newbie, toggpine thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peggi View Post
    I'll write in them, and I'll have the binding cut off and have it re-bound with a comb or spiral, so it will lay flat.
    I did this with some drawing books. I even laminated them befor having them spiral bound. Some of my little school friends have poor impulse control, and the laminate is much easier to remove marks from than the paper.
    I'll have to keep this in mind for my frequently used books. It was less than $4 each to have the books bound at Office Depot.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

20. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post