Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default word of the day update-stroke

yep you read correctly. Had 3rd round of chemo last Monday & Wednesday night I had a stroke. DH took me to ER, told them we thought I was having a stroke & immediately whisked me away. Doctors said we did the right thing cos many people dismiss the symptoms. Mine were pretty clear...very clumsy limbs (felt as if I had ragdoll limbs, drooling, slurred speech). They recommended a drug that potentially be very dangerous (cause a blood clot to dislodge & travel to heart/brain). Wasn't much discussion between DH & myself. Had drug (don't remember name, think it was something like TBA or ?) Hand eye coordination as ssooo bad before drug IV but was much improved after. Still have a little problem with left hand in my thumb & 2 fingers but that's improving a little. Also have a little tongue issue but all in all I AM SO VERY LUCKY!!!!

Hospital didn't have a room in ICU so had to go to another & spent 2 1/2 days there then 1 in a regular room. Doctors think my chemo may have triggered the stroke but daughter spoke to my oncologist naturally disagreed. My cholesterol is high & the trigliserides(yeh, that's misspelled) were very high. Hospital did corrotid (yeah i know misspelled) echo-had a blockage of 50-69 percent but would be more concerned if it had been 70 % up. heart echo was okay I think. Have an appointment on Wednesday afternoon.

So my advice to you is to get your mammograms & don't dismiss anything not normal for you. Go glad we didn't.

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: word of the day update-stroke

Wow, Gina - by the time you're all done, they're going to need to re-name the hospital after you! So very glad you and your DH were able to get the help you needed. My understanding is that there is a fairly narrow window of opportunity following a stroke in which the drug needs to be administered. Hope you are fully on the mend soon!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So thankful that your DH got you to the hospital in time! Still continuing to pray for you and your family. Big hugs and love.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos to you and DH for recognizing those symptoms and acting quickly! For those non-medical folks here, there are two causes of strokes: ischemic (a blood clot in the brain) and hemorrhagic (bleeding in the brain). With either type, early intervention is the key to preserving function. My hospital calls a "stroke code" just as we would call a "code blue" for a cardiac arrest. It is indeed that important to move quickly.

With an ischemic stroke, there is a "golden hour" in which a clot busting enzyme is effective. That drug, tissue plasminogen activator, is called tPA for short. It sounds as though the tPA was very effective in your case. You are a walking testament to the importance of NOT just waiting to see if things get better. If you had blown off those symptoms, the neurologic damage would likely have been permanent. And here you are, typing away on the forum!

Not that it matters at this point, but the stroke may or may not have been related to either the cancer or chemo. Or it could have been a coincidence. We will probably never know.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, glad you got the help you needed quickly. Good job persevering, keep it up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So happy you recognized something was not right and acted on it. As previously said, it is so important to get it treated asap. Very sorry you are having to go through all this. Hugs and prayers!
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So glad you noticed it immediately and were able to get the treatment. Thanks for the reminder about mammogram. I need to schedule mine. Going to do that now.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow Gina. Prayers headed your way. Entirely to much to go through.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad you are okay and the symptoms were recognized right away. Glad you are here with us.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear this. Thankfully you got treatment in time. My prayers are with you....and my (((HUGS))).