Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Question Appliqués will not stick

I'm new to appliqués, I have watched many, many tutorials on how to do it. I am currently trying to make a quilt for my son's birthday in November. I have used the purple Heat and Bond, iron on adhesive, sewable to adhere the fabric together, but it will not hold! When I try to hand stitch it down it wants to peel up. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions will be MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Appliqués will not stick

I had problems with Heat and Bond as well, and by time I noticed it was too late to redo my fabric applique. So.... What i did was to take a little Roxanne glue baste (after it ran out, switched to Elmer's school glue because it is just starch and washes out) and run a thin bead around the glue side of the applique pieces. Then used a dry iron to heat set it. It held well enough to allow me to stitch the applique down. If you do this, make sure the glue line is between the edge and the area you want to put your needle thru (so you don't have to push a hand needle thru the glue itself because the combination of the Heat&Bond and glue makes it harder to do the handwork).

I don't know if the problem was the Heat and Bond, or if it was a little too hot an iron, not hot enough, or ironing too long or too short a time. But I have had it happen twice and won't use Heat and Bond any more.

I am using a little Misty Fuse now and so far so good. It does not come paper backed, which intimidated me at first, so iron fabric on it against either a silicon pressing sheet or old fashioned parchment paper, or iron it to parchment paper and draw your design on it, then after ironing onto fabric, you just peel off the parchment paper and press it on your fabric like other fusibles. Difference is that it sticks well AND it is the softest fusible I ever felt. Super easy to stitch on and very very soft - don't really know it is there when done. I got it thru M* but then had to order thru Amazon because M* was out of stock.
    Last edited by Julie A; July 29th, 2017 at 01:46 PM.

3. Thanks awedehase thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know that this is a dumb suggestion and you probably knew to do this, but did you pull off the paper backing on the Heat N Bond? I had this happen to me I shouldn't try to sew/quilt when I'm tired. LOL

5. Thanks awedehase thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like heat and bond at all. I use pellon lite ez steam a seam 2. it is repositionable until ironed which I do not do till sewing is done.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

7. Thanks awedehase thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You might be over heating it. I use the ultra lite and just make a couple of passes. This is a good video of different brands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35NgfVRtGKo

Lorie

9. Thanks awedehase thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still using pins. They work for me.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Appliqués will not stick

Patty J, I did. �� I too have made silly mistakes when I'm tired.
    Last edited by awedehase; July 29th, 2017 at 02:56 PM.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Overheating the heat and bond will make it not stick... I've had good luck with it for applique.

13. Thanks awedehase thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Something I learned the hard way - do not use fabric softener when prewashing fabric because the fusibles won't stick if you do! And dryer sheets count as fabric softener.
    Vonnie

15. Thanks toggpine thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you're having this problem. I had the same problem, switched to MistyFuse and haven't looked back. Absolutely no stiffness, and always adheres!