Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best metallic thread for quilting

Dear fellow quilters,

The yearly Christmas projects have started again in this house. As I dont believe in expensive gifts i make all the Christmas presents myself varying from knitting Aran jumpers and socks (after all this is Ireland) to making lap quilts or throws. Its nice for my friends and family to know i have made an effort for them.
    I am about to start on a christmas throw in white/iceblue and i want to quilt silvery ice flakes on it. Can you advise me on the best quality metallic thread for quilting that is also suitable for free motion (if i feel brave enough).

Love
    Marijke

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best metallic thread for quilting

I have no experience with metallic threads, but Medeira makes beautiful, quality threads. I would check them out.
    Bernina 770QE, Bernina 1120, Bernina Nova 900, BabyLock Ovation, Bernina Q24 Long arm

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about the thread but I do know you need a metallic needle.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't have much luck with Glide gold metallic on my Baby Lock Tiara LA. Later, I was told one needed to use a larger needle, and should use a non-metallic thread in the bobbin--maybe a gold 50 wt. cotton thread. I really don't have much experience with metallic thread. You don't mention whether you're using your DSM or a LA.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

i use a Janome 1600QC which is semi professional

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good luck on garments with Sulky's metallics and Sliver thread. They can be a little touchy. I have to drop my top tension way down on my Bernina, but Bernina's seem to have the tension set pretty tight so you might not have that problem. Also, with Sliver you have to a vertical spool or it will twist and break. Good luck!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight, Rocketeer

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Superior. There is a thread hints page on the site too. I strongly suggest to use thread nets. I buy this so you can cut your own

http://craftingisfun.com/leinettingandtubing.aspx

http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...Brand=Metallic

The glitter is extra shiny

http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...?Brand=Glitter

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of a metallic could you use a polyester. Some polyester has a nice sheen to it. I was thinking maybe a light gray would give you the silver effect.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having better luck with the regular Glide threads. (Trilobal polyester) The thread has a very pretty sheen to them. I'm currently using the "Pearl" color on a quilt. I also used the light blue on the Baby Blocks Star quilt and a dark gray color on the Rail Fence Star quilt. I have some So Fine threads coming from Superior which I will trial. I saw the thread nets demo'd at the quilting class I attended last week. She was using Glide thread. I ordered a pkg. of 12 nets with my Superior order.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

i will get one of each. I have to order them online via amazon or a quilt company as here in Dublin only Guthermann quilting thread can be bought and there is something about it i dont like (probably my own polluted brain thinking this) and online in Ireland there is Aurifil but the colors are limited.