I want to upgrade to a Free Motion machine......any suggestions, input, recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sheila5705
    Shiny Thimble
    • Jul 2017

I want to upgrade to a Free Motion machine......any suggestions, input, recommendations?

I decided that I am not a quilter.......I am a quilt top maker! I am ready to finish my stack of UFOs. I would like to get a sewing machine capable of Free Motion Quilting. I have only straight quilted my smaller projects and now I am ready to learn FMQ. I have looked at Pfaff Ambition machines (no auto thread cutter), Singer C440Q (seemed weak), Husqvarna Opal (seemed complicated), and Juki DX-2000qvp (loved it). I really can't spend more than $1000. Any recommendations are welcome.
    Thank you!
  • Star lover
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2016

Re: I want to upgrade to a Free Motion machine......any suggestions, input, recommendations?

Sorry, can't help you, I'm a hand quilter. I'm sure someone here will be able to help.
    But hello, and welcome to the forum from Michigan!

Comment

• Georgie Girl
      The Guild President
      • Apr 2017

Re: I want to upgrade to a Free Motion machine......any suggestions, input, recommendations?

Don't have it but I hear a lot about the Jazz Baby Lock. Check on line or maybe someone here has one/ And I agree I'm also a quilt top quilter, having 2 buckets of quilt tops.
      Last edited by Georgie Girl; July 12, 2017, 07:42 AM. Reason: more to say

Comment

• kgirlmom
        Applique Angel
        • Jun 2015

I don't FMQ but my understanding is you can do it on any machine that you can drop the feed dogs on.

Comment

• cv quilter
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Georgie Girl View Post
          Don't have it but I hear a lot about the Jazz Baby Lock. Check on line or maybe someone here has one/ And I agree I'm also a quilt top quilter, having 2 buckets of quilt tops.
          I think Jean has a Jazz. I know that Jenny Doan uses one in her videos and I've heard good things about them.
          A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• quiltsRfun
            Missouri Star
            • Nov 2011

Sounds like you're leaning towards the Juki. Have you test driven all of them?

Comment

• Annababy
              Binding Belle
              • Dec 2016

I have the Juki 2010q. It is a dream machine for fmq. I find it many places for 999. I waited and watched and was able to purchase mine new for 899. My LQS is bringing one in on trade this week. I don't know where you live, but if you are anywhere near central Arkansas it is worth checking out. The Crafty Gemini and Leah Day both have a thorough review of this machine on YouTube.

Comment

• Georgie Girl
                The Guild President
                • Apr 2017

Originally posted by quiltsRfun View Post
                Sounds like you're leaning towards the Juki. Have you test driven all of them?
                Looked at this one on line and the throat seems small compared to the Jazz to fit the quilt through when rolled up. Don't have it so just my observation.

Comment

• grammaterry
                  Missouri Star
                  • Dec 2015

You can fmq on the machine you have. Use it and practice on those ufos. Drop your feed dogs set the stitch lenth to 0 and get a hopping foot. eBay has some for as little as $20
                  success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                  Terry of NC

Comment

• Swedish leo
                    Missouri Star
                    • Feb 2012

I have PFAFF quilt expression 4.0 and I love it.

Here is a thorough info about the machine

For easy navigation and chapter break downs of this video, go to http://www.villagesewing.com Also check out our Online Store https://www.villagesewing.com/s...

Here are some more choices

8 Best Quilting Machines 2017

CLICK FOR WIKI ►► https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-quilting-machinesPlease Note: Our choices for this wiki may have changed since we published this review video. ...
                    Last edited by Swedish leo; July 12, 2017, 08:25 AM.
                    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
                    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
                    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

• Swedish leo
                      Missouri Star
                      • Feb 2012

Learn how to buy a new sewing machine with 10 great tips from Leah Day. It's so important to take your time with any new machine purchase and Leah breaks dow...

How to Buy a Sewing Machine - 10 Tips with Leah Day!

this is good to
                      sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                      The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
                      A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
                      And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

• K. McEuen
                        Super Moderator
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2011

Jenny sews with a Babylock Jane.
                        Jean has a Singer S16, as do I.
                        Sheri has a Jazz.
                        The Jane and S16 are straight stitch only, high speed machines. You can do FMQ with a different needle plate, but the feed dogs don't drop.
                        K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                        T - is it TRUE?
                        H - is it HELPFUL?
                        I - is it INSPIRING?
                        N - is it NECESSARY?
                        K - is it KIND?

Comment

• amartin24
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jul 2014

I also have the Singer S16 and highly recommend it. I purchased it for only $400 last year from the Singer website. Unfortunately, it isn't sold on there anymore (no idea why) and it can be purchased through Amazon, currently for $799.
                          I am Sew Blessed!
                          Alina

Comment

• DeniseSm
                            Missouri Star
                            • Nov 2013

Just to give another view point, there is nothing wrong with sending your quilts out to be quilted by a long arm quilter. If I had the money that is what I would do.

I do send my very pieces out for long arm quilting.
                            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• shermur
                              Missouri Star
                              • Mar 2013

Yes...Sherri (shermur) has a Jazz! And it was worth the money (under $1000 .00)!!!!

Baby Jazz (800x513).jpg

Dot to Dot practice 1 (800x559).jpg

At least go test drive one! The Jazz may not have all the digital fancy stitches or the automation that higher dollar machines have, but......it has everything it needs and the 12" throat alone makes learning FMQ much easier!

Right now, Baby Lock is having a sale the month of July 2017!

Don't miss out on the Baby Lock Warehouse Sale!
                              Now through July 31 your local retailer is helping us empty our warehouse and passing the savings along to you during the Baby Lock Warehouse Sale. Offer valid at participating authorized Baby Lock retailers July 1-July 31, 2017. Visit your Baby Lock retailer to learn more!
                              Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X