Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I want to upgrade to a Free Motion machine......any suggestions, input, recommendations?

Juki TL2010Q hands down! It's a straight stitch only machine and is fantastic at fmq!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

2. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I want to upgrade to a Free Motion machine......any suggestions, input, recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by just4me View Post
    Just another thing to think about....sometimes it is not necessarily the extra "width" of your harp space that is important but rather the "height" of it that can make passing a bulky item through easier.
    Yes! That is why I chose the Juki.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    Juki TL2010Q hands down! It's a straight stitch only machine and is fantastic at fmq!
    This is the machine I have and love it. I think this is the one Leah Day uses also.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about saving 1000 dollars and just buying the foot for your current machine? I recommend using the machine you already have and by using that machine you will figure out quickly what you like and what can be improved upon. And then your 1000 dollars toward a different machine will be exactly what you want.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that I'm a quilt top maker too. I've finished two quilts tops that are in my closet. Now, I don't even like the first one I made with Downton Abbey fabrics. They are too pale. I'm into vibrant colors now. See what happens as you age?

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I just read a blurb on Craftsy telling how you can cover the feed dogs on any machine so you can FMQ. They covered the dogs with plastic. Just an idea if you really love your older machine.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila5705 View Post
    I decided that I am not a quilter.......I am a quilt top maker! I am ready to finish my stack of UFOs. I would like to get a sewing machine capable of Free Motion Quilting. I have only straight quilted my smaller projects and now I am ready to learn FMQ. I have looked at Pfaff Ambition machines (no auto thread cutter), Singer C440Q (seemed weak), Husqvarna Opal (seemed complicated), and Juki DX-2000qvp (loved it). I really can't spend more than $1000. Any recommendations are welcome.
    Thank you!
    I hear you. I started quilting a few years ago, and quilted my tops, up to Queen size on my Husquarvana Sapphire. It has a large throat plate, and I could probably have done King, but these get heavy to handle. I took a FMQ class at my LQS and this helped with getting my groove. Drop feed dogs, adjust tension and go. Some people found it easier to turn their machine front facing. The 1st year, I made 4 kings and my husband made 1 queen, which we had quilted by our LAQ. But at close to $1500 for 5 quilts, we decided to invest in a Handi Quilter Sweet 16. We got a great deal on one during a promotion $6000 CDN, which I estimate at $4K US. We have done at least 6 quilts on it, and love it. So now I am a quilter (topper and finisher), and I love it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	146038

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 quilt tops hanging in my closet. I love to piece, however, I am not a quilter and I just can't send out every quilt top I make for fmq, too costly. I took a class ($40) which did nothing for me, also practiced every day for a week, and just can't get into the movement. I'm working from a Janome QC 6260 with a small throat space. I'm not able to buy another machine and don't think that would help either. I'm waiting for the slider pad I ordered from M* hoping that will get me going. I just do stitch-in-the-ditch on the smaller tops. Thanks for listening to my frustration this morning. I'm determined!!
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So does the Jukitl2010 have a large throat? It is hard to tell in the pictures and not mentioned in the info I read on it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Crafty Gemini did a video on the Jukitl2010Q.