Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best type of batting for King quilt

Good afternoon everybody,

I am making a King quilt measuring 105" x 105". I have to order the batting soon but would like to get advise which one to go for. If i take the wrong one the quilt might be weighing very heavy and difficult to manage for quilting itself.
    Can you please advise me as experienced quilters?

Best regards
    Marijke
    Dublin

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best type of batting for King quilt

My favorite batting is Quilters Dream Cotton (their thinnest batting) because I prefer 100% cotton batting. I like the way it drapes and I like you I like a lightweight batting. I've hand quilted it and machine quilted it with great results.

My 2nd choice would be Hobbs 80/20 batting. I used to use that and was happy with it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My first choice is Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batting. Pretty much all I use.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Hobbs 80/20 for the past several years. My LA quilter uses this, too. I've noticed that the LA quilter on Tamarack Shack uses Quilters Dream 70% a lot. I personally do not like a 100% cotton batting. It's too thin for me & just doesn't quilt the same.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used Warm and White on my daughter's king quilt and it turned out quite heavy. So I would not recommend that if you want a light quilt. And the non- sale price at JoAnns is $69.99! Yikes! Thank goodness there was a coupon. It is 120" by 120".

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I buy my batting at WalMart, the polyester ones in a bag by size. I like the loft and the lightness of the finished quilt. Tried warm and natural and got a heavy, flat quilt, so I don't use that any more. Used to buy the large rolls from Joann's when it had a coupon, but now just buy by the bag when needed. I don't have enough room in my apartment for two huge rolls of poly and cotton. I teach Hawaiian quilting and we only use the poly batting for our quilts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My preference for lighter weight batting is also Hobbs 80/20. I have a large quilt with the quilters dream and it is very nice, but feels heavy on my feet at night. When I want to use one of my quilts, I tend to grab the quilts with the Hobbs 80/20 batting more often.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

You might try Kyoto Bamboo Batting. Bamboo batting is not as heavy as cotton but sturdier than polyester. My son-in-law is always hot and can sleep under the quilt I made them. Bamboo will wick away moisture. I get mine at Fabric.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Mountain Mist Cream Rose because it's thin, lightweight and very soft. It's 100% cotton. I buy it at Joann.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have made several King quilts for our bed, and change them with seasons or months. The lighter ones are 80/20 cotton/polyester. I have also used and love bamboo. It is a good weight. I have also used eucalyptus, moid weight. We also have Tuscany wool quilt. Surprisingly it is not heavy and breathes, also like its pouff, like a polyester. I think you need to determine how warm or cool you want your quilt and go from there.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.