Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Update: words of the day-hair loss

Gina, You know, I believe you are already such a beautiful person, woman, because you are able to share this journey and your feelings with others. I admire you greatly, and no matter what, nothing is going to change the beautiful, incredible woman you are. Your man is a keeper and you should believe him when he tells you he'll love you no matter what. He obviously is there to support you through this. God Bless you.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A gal I worked with is going thru chemo for ovarian cancer. She shave her head after about three chemo treatments. Last picture I saw, she has a little fuzz, but that's it for now. When MM's moms grew back in, it was brown again (she had been gray) with a little curl.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

3. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry you are going through this. My Dad did not loose his hair, don't know why, but it went from being salt and pepper and curly to straight and solid white. Shows how much stress Chemo causes your body.

Do whatever helps. I once bought my husband a small statue that said "Bald is Beautiful!" He's naturally bald.

And your husband is definitely a keeper!
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

May God be with you

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Gina, i'very never been thru what you are going thru, so please feel free to tell me to shut up. But I have known quite a few women who have lost their hair due to chemo, and one of them compared it to trying to remove a bandaid very slowly and we all know how painful that is. Every women who I spoke with, had said that once they made the decision and just went ahead and cut off what was left cried at first, but then felt a sense of relief knowing that they weren't going to be seeing clumps of hair coming out daily.

So I say, "rip off that bandaid, get it over with" have a good cry, save a lock, and know that it will grow back. Maybe darker, maybe lighter, maybe straighter, or maybe curlier, but no matter what, it's what's inside you that makes you beautiful, not a head full of hair.

7. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

(((Hugs))), prayers and positive thoughts!!! I can't imagine how it must feel to deal with chemo as well as losing your hair.

When I had cancer in my early 20's, I didn't lose my hair but my skin and hair sort of changed texture. My makeup didn't look good on me (yeah, that was when I actually wore makeup). I was young and it really depressed me. A friend took pity on me and took me for a makeover to learn how to use makeup for my new skin. On a positive note, about 6 months after my treatment of radiation and surgery, my skin and hair started to go back to the "before" texture.

Fast forward 20 years and a dear friend was dealing with chemo and lost her hair. I used to take her to Chemo and always let her know what looked good on her. She had a very nice scarf that had bangs attached. I loved the color! We went to lunch one day with a bunch of friends. Afterwards, she got into my car and gave me a "look" and ripped the scarf off her head and threw it in the back of my car. I didn't know what to say. She just smiled and said that she hated that scarf! I sat there for a moment and then started to laugh. We laughed for a good 10 minutes. That scarf stayed in the back of my car for months!

I wish for you moments of love and laughter. And yes, your husband will love you no matter what! He married YOU, not your hair.

9. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

After my 1st chemo session, when my hair started falling out, I got my daughter to shave the whole lot off. It made me feel quite liberated and I discovered that I had a rather nice shaped head. Before that I had never had a particularly nice anything - very average looks.

I found the worst part of chemo was loosing my eyelashes. I never realised just how useful they were for keeping dust and sweat out of my eyes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all of your words of support & suggestions. I had already thought of "shedding" (my sense of humor will never go away!) the rest of my hair. At first my husband Jerry thought I shouldn't but then said whatever I wanted to do was ok with him. We will be married 45 years on July 22 & you can bet your last dollar that I'll never "shed" him!!!! I've teased him about the vows, you know the ones: for richer, for poorer, sickness & in health & wondere again.d about the "richer" part. I wanted to know when the "richer" was coming. He always replies "this is it baby". I tell him that's okay cos I hit the mega lottery when I married him.

Anyway, thanks again. You guys rock!

Not that bald yet,
    Gina

12. Thanks kaydee, WendyI thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaryD View Post
    After my 1st chemo session, when my hair started falling out, I got my daughter to shave the whole lot off. It made me feel quite liberated and I discovered that I had a rather nice shaped head. Before that I had never had a particularly nice anything - very average looks.

I found the worst part of chemo was loosing my eyelashes. I never realised just how useful they were for keeping dust and sweat out of my eyes.
    Agreed! I totally forgot about the eyelash thing until reading this.

Shaving my head was very empowering.
    Here is an inexpensive source for wigs and scarves: https://www.tlcdirect.org/Wigs-for-C...ety-TLC-Direct
    Heather