Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do cancer patients need chemo blankets for?

A friend has just been diagnosed cancer. He'll need surgery, radiotherapy and several chemo sessions. He is in very low spirits.
    I read several times in the forum about people gifting quilts to cancer patients, to use during chemo. May I ask what do they need them for? I actually don't know personally anybody that has gone through it, so I'll appreciate some input. I am considering quilting something for my friend to cheer up, but it should be something he would use. I don't know what chemo sessions consist of (are patients seated or lying down, and for how long?). In case a quilt would be helpful, which size would you recommend? Or should I consider a bright colored pillow instead?
    Thanks for your support!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do cancer patients need chemo blankets for?

IV infusions of chemo. can take up to 4 hrs. I think many of the chemo. centers have recliners where the patient can sit back & relax while they wait for the IV to finish. A lap size quilt will keep them warm while they rest & something colorful will warm their spirits so they know someone cared enough to make a quilt for them. It's a worthy cause.

3. Thanks SallyO'Sews, Yanna, giig21, cv quilter, lourixe thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who just finished chemo and one of the side effects is that he is very sensitive to cold - he has to wear gloves and socks all the time.

5. Thanks SallyO'Sews, Yanna, cv quilter, lourixe, PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Having gone thru this in the last year with MM, I can tell you they get very cold! It has been in the 80s here and he walks around in fleece pants with a hoody with the hood up!! Me? I have on the least amount of clothing possible.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

7. Thanks Yanna, cv quilter, lourixe, PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

The infusion itself made me very cold, so the nurses would warm blankets in a warmer and keep swapping them out. Good luck to your friend and try to help him feel positive, it will help.
    Heather

9. Thanks Yanna, giig21, cv quilter, lourixe thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes the COC group here made my husband a quilt right before he started chemo and it was a snuggly lifesaver. He too received treatments in a large recliner and each treatment lasted about 6 hours. He always covered his legs with it. Chemo takes a lot out of you so even when you are between treatments and at home you need to take lots of naps bc you are just exhausted all the time. My dh linres to nap on the couch with his COC blanket draped over him. So this is one item that your friend will probably appreciate so much and use. There is not much you can do from a physical standpoint to make treatments easier for the patient but this is a nice thing to do and a constant reminder that you are thinking of him. I think it just makes them feel good, and that they are not going through this all alone.

11. Thanks Yanna, lourixe thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Joy is right....many times when the Chemo Patients are receiving chemo in an outpatient setting it is cold in the rooms they are in. In the hospital that's near us the Outpatient IV Center does all kinds of IV things...... including Chemo meds. For years, I have had an IV port for medications and I go once a week to have the Huber Needle that is inserted into the Port changed.
    It's often chilly in those rooms. Many of the Chemo Patients take blankets, books, laptops, etc to have something to do while they are having their chemo.
    So, sure if you want, make a small quilt for your friend. Maybe you can make a quilt with fabric of some type of a hobby he has etc. It would help him I am sure !

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

13. Thanks giig21, lourixe thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

A quilt for your friend will be needed and loved. Our son's fiance said the hospital was so cold when she had her treatments. I made a quilt for her that she dearly loved! Sadly, we lost her on April 23. Hugs and prayers for your friend.

15. Thanks Yanna, lourixe thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made my son a quilt for comfort before he started his chemo. He would go in for treatment and the moment he stepped outside the clinic, the clock would start for when the side effects would begin. He would make it home, change into his comfy clothes (sweats, hoodie, wool cap and socks), take two Advil and get under that quilt. Always just in time, and always made a HUGE difference. Once, before he realized how bad it would be, he went without any of this (including the Advil). He woke up so cold and in pain his teeth chattered so hard he thot they would crack!

Yes, they do get cold. Yes, a quilt gives GREAT comfort.
    ~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

17. Thanks Yanna, lourixe thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks for this overwhelming response! I knew I would get the right answers from this forum. I'll definitely sew my friend a cheering warming quilt.

19. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post