• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MissyB
    Prairie Pointer
    • Sep 2014

LITE STEAM A SEAM 2 DOUBLE STICK

This is the first time I've used this double stick version. It was wonderful for placement as you can lift and restick appliqué pieces to background before making placement permanent with heat. The problem I'm having is it is gumming up my needle. I have to remove the gluey ball that accumulates on my needle after satin stitching approximately every inch. I'm making two table runners and have all appliqué pieces backed with this stuff so hoping there's a solution. I've been putting thread heaven on needle and still not having success. Any recommendations?
  • Iris Girl
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2013

Re: LITE STEAM A SEAM 2 DOUBLE STICK

I always use steam a seam 2 lite. Its a double stick and is repositionable until heat set. I have never had any issue with it gumming up my needle and I do a lot of applique.
    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Sharyn J
      Missouri Star
      • Oct 2012

I only had that problem once using another product, but I found that changing the needle to a larger size helped. You can also try setting your satin stitch a tiny bit longer. For most quilting weight fabrics, you can use a 90/14 Microtex Sharp, a Jeans or embroidery needle. The needle eye is a bit larger on those needles. A lighter bobbin thread is also helpful. Of course, check your machine manual for recommended needles.

The newer Steam a Seam II Lite is what I use now but since you already have your applique pieces pressed, try another needle and experiment on some scraps.

Comment

• MissyB
        Prairie Pointer
        • Sep 2014

I tried a larger needle as suggested and it is working better. It's still gumming up but I can sew longer without having to remove goo from needle. I started noticing the gum up increases on large, straight stretches where I tend to go faster. Wondering if the heat from the friction activates the glue more??

Comment

• MissyB
          Prairie Pointer
          • Sep 2014

That's the same product I'm using. I'm glad you haven't had issues with it! I've read great reviews about the product as well. I'm making a Patrick Lose table runner and he suggests this product, too.

Comment

• Georgie Girl
            The Guild President
            • Apr 2017

It might be just that package wasn't processed right. I had a whole bolt of Pellon fusiable web & adhesives interfacing paper backed that for love or money I could not get the paper off. Thought I was doing it wrong so asked at my Ben Franklin store and she said they had a lot that was bad. I contacted Pellon and they replaced the whole bolt. I was quit surprised because I had bought it sometime ago. Never hurts to ask.

Comment

• cindirae
              Binding Belle
              • Oct 2013

That's the reason I stopped using it. It was forever gumming up my needle. Sorry, I don't have any tips for you. I switched to MistyFuse and no more gumming....
              Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

• LLLinda
                The Guild President
                • Mar 2017

There was a time couple of years ago when Lite SAS2 lost their manufacturer. Then had many problems with new glues, etc. Hoping that now that has been corrected but haven't thought to ask at my LQS. Misty fuse was a suggested sub but as I remember it may have been higher priced. My shop refused to buy the Lite SAS2 until all the bugs were worked out. Guess I need to see about that.

Comment

• swietsto
                  Prairie Pointer
                  • Mar 2017

Just was at the Shipshewana Quilt Festival last week and at a couple of the schoolhouse sessions -- one on FMQ and the other on applique -- they both recommended using Sullivan's Silicone Spray. The suggestion was to spray some of the material on your fingers and then rub it on the needle to keep the needle from getting gummed up. Slowing the machine down when doing applique will also help with heat build up on the needle and keep from melting the glue in the fusible. Several folks agreed with those recommendations. I purchased some of the spray but have not had the opportunity to try it yet.

Comment

• cv quilter
                    Missouri Star
                    • Feb 2015

I use the Steam a Seam or Heat N Bond and have had issues with the needle gumming. I purchased a bottle of Sewer's Aid at JoAnn's and rub a little on the needle periodically and it takes care of that problem. It's probably similar to the Sullivan's Silicon Spray, and it's easily found here locally.
                    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• MissyB
                      Prairie Pointer
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by cindirae View Post
                      That's the reason I stopped using it. It was forever gumming up my needle. Sorry, I don't have any tips for you. I switched to MistyFuse and no more gumming....
                      I'll try that next time! Is it double stick also? That seemed like a great feature but that may be causing the gumming up problem...

Comment

• Teri
                        Honey Bun
                        • Nov 2013

A very big Thank you to all of you who have commented on using Steam a Seam 2 Lite. I am having great difficulty with it gumming up my needle. I will take all your advice to heart.....Sewer's Aid....slowing down for topstitching over the appliqué....and definitely getting rid of this steam a seam product i have, and go back to needle turn appliqué like I have always done. Thank you. I will stop being so frustrated now. I will muddle thru this quilt, but won't ever take the shortcut route (fusible appliqué) again!

Comment

• snowbird
                          Batting Beauty
                          • Dec 2010

I'm a bit late commenting on this topic but I, too, have been so frustrated with this product. I am using it on a wool project and it has been almost impossible to push a needle thru all layers; then I tried using the sewing machine and the needle gummed up every few stitches. I used a larger eye needle on the machine, slowed the speed, and even enlarged the selected stitch and nothing alleviated the problem.

What I have learned: since I purchased several packages of this product and will use it , I decided to use the window pane method (I believe that is the term). This method will still allow to reposition the applique plus leaves room for the needle stitching without having to stitch thru the fabrics and product. (I hope this explanation makes sense.)

Comment

• Teri
                            Honey Bun
                            • Nov 2013

Snowbird, I did finally finish the quilt today. It was not too bad once I did all the tricks you have to do with that Steam a Seam 2 Lite. Cleaning the needle (Q, size 14) with alcohol wipe, then small dab of Sewers Aid between my thumb and finger & running that up and down the needle good, and going slow....all those things every minute or so, really helped. I hope your window pane method helped you. The lady at the fabric store told me this is not a good product for everybody. She grabs Pellon lightweight fusibles and never has an issue. If you take a moment to feel the difference in the two, you'll see the Steam a Seam is gummy from the get-go. I wish I'd have noticed that. I wish you good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X