Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheap Storage Idea

While at Sam's a few days ago, I picked up a couple of those box tray things they have at the checkout just to keep items from rolling all over the car. I was ready to toss them this morning and thought maybe these things could be of some use. Took them downstairs and filled one with my JRS. Now I can just pull out the container and see which one I might use. Quicker and easier than taking them out one by one. Saves some space also. Any other ideas?

2. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cheap Storage Idea

Thanks for sharing your idea. I'm interested in seeing what ideas others have.

Hmmm. What can I share? This isn't my original idea but I like it. I saw it on a quilting blog and I wish I could remember which one so I could post it here. Anyway, you know the plastic containers greens come in? They can be used to put scraps in (for us scrap quilters.) It's easy to see the colors in the container. One quilter uses these containers to nicely fold and store her fat quarters and it looks pretty. It's easy at a glance to find the colors you need.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did a total reorganization of my sewing room 2 yrs. ago. I have various sizes of plastic storage containers for my fabrics. Some have lids; others are drawer units. I think I bought almost everything at Super Wal-Mart. The larger & smaller drawer units on casters, I bought at Super Target. I used poster board to cut to make labels to fit in the end of the containers & drawers. Two of the smaller drawer units are perfect for fat qtrs. Some of the drawers have poster board with no label; I used it to block the sun from shining on the fabrics in those drawers--to prevent fading of the fabrics. The magazine holders you can buy at W-M or any office supply work great for quilting magazines, books, & the BLOCK mag.

5. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've just been reorganizing my sewing room. I started by purchasing magazine boards from Amazon. I have wrapped all of my fabric, labeling the larger pieces (2 yds, 2+,3 4) and have placed them in plastic storage boxes from Walmart according to color or theme. I labeled each box and have place the more commonly used ones up on the shelves in my sewing room. The other ones, ones not used often (large pieces, flannel, juvenile) all go into my large wardrobe/armoire cabinet. They are all labeled as well. I already had lots of the plastic boxes, and also found some nice ones at Costco, 5 and 6 to a stack. I am so pleased with this organization!
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the comic book cardboard to wrap my yardage too & it's in a deep Ikea shelf. I have precuts in a rolling drawer unit, also from Ikea and my thread is in the same unit - DH cut a piece of pegboard to fit the top drawer & I put little wooden pegs in every other hole (it used to be sorted by color - over a year later it could stand a tidy up, lol).

My favorite storage bins are made by Sterilite & I can't find them any more - Although they are all differentbsizes, they stack together beautifully. I have my scraps sorted into them, and WIPs and some backing that's too big to fit on my shelf. I LOVE them, lol!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AMG View Post
    My favorite storage bins are made by Sterilite & I can't find them any more - Although they are all differentbsizes, they stack together beautifully. I have my scraps sorted into them, and WIPs and some backing that's too big to fit on my shelf. I LOVE them, lol!
    I've bought those Sterilite boxes at Target, Dollar Tree, and Wal-Mart. I love them!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like those little 3-drawer chests made of sterlite, and have two that fit under my sewing table. But the drawer pulls are at the bottom of each drawer, rather than the top. I didn't realize how aggravating that is until I dealt with a newer one where the pulls are at the top of the drawer. (first world problem, I know, lol) Bending over to grab the thing at floor level can be an unwanted stretch sometimes.
    So, if you get those 3-drawer chests, make sure the handles are at the top of the drawer, not the bottom.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SallyO'Sews View Post
    I've bought those Sterilite boxes at Target, Dollar Tree, and Wal-Mart. I love them!
    I found some at Wal-Mart a year or so ago & haven't seen them anywhere since! Sterilite makes several different styles but these ones that have the skinny flip-up thing that secures the lid and the raised section on the top & indentation on the bottom and the different sizes/depths that stack sooooo nicely - they are perfect!