• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oldstitcher
    Machine Stitcher
    • Sep 2016

For the love of quilting

This will sound like I'm not into quilting for love of it but I truly am. I was doing some research trying to find a way to off set my expenses related to quilting so I thought about making quilts to sale. I found out that probably isn't going to happen because you cant really recoup expenses considering time, material etc and there are not many that will pat that cost. Does anyone have have suggestions as I really don't want to give this hobby up.
    Thank You
  • quiltsRfun
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2011

Re: For the love of quilting

Is it a matter of the cost of materials or that you don't know what to do with all the finished quilts? If it's the cost, there are always yard and estate sales and thrift stores. You can also repurpose fabric from clothing. If it's what to do with the finished quilts, find a charity and donate them.

Comment

• JCY
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2013

If you love quilting, you won't worry too much about the expenses. It is a hobby--something to enjoy--also a way to give to others & have the satisfaction of bringing joy into others' lives. I don't feel we should have to "justify" the expenditure on a hobby that is considered by many to be therapeutic & a positive mental health thing. Angela Walters' web page is titled, "Quilting Is My Therapy". I think that says it all. Donating quilts to various charities not only brings joy to you, but also to the recipients of your beautiful creations.

My DH has had an HO model railroading hobby for 40 years. The train layout now lies untouched in our bsmt. due to his declining health. But, it was his lifesaver through many hard times, especially when he went through a major depression. He will never recoup the money or the hours of his time expended in that room, but I don't begrudge him one dime of the expense. He used his creative expertise to make something wonderful. He enjoyed it for many years & showcased it to many visitors.

Having a hobby is a healthy thing. It sure beats vegetating in front of the TV or being glued to one's electronic devices. Even if you have a limited income, you still can enjoy quilting & be a blessing to others. Don't give it up. You might consider joining a quilt guild. I know at our guild, they have kits available that one can sew together & take back when the quilt is finished. These are donated to local charities. Our annual membership fee is only $25. or $5.00 each mo. one attends. I gladly paid the annual fee & haven't missed a meeting except for the sew day. There are at least 200 members in our guild & we have an ave. attendance of 80 to 100 each mo. It's a great way to meet people, hear some great lectures, & share the quilting experience.

Comment

• Caroline T.
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2016

My mother was retired, and on a limited income, and quilting was her favorite pasttime. She hooked up with another lady who had a booth at the local farmer's market. Mom would help set up and breakdown, and would man the booth most of the weekend. In exchange the woman paid the space fee, and mom was able to display and sell her quilts at a price that people would pay and the other lady got a small portion of mom's sales. This arrangement didn't supplement her income, but as she said, it did support her hobby.

Comment

• Oldstitcher
          Machine Stitcher
          • Sep 2016

Cost of material is basically my issue but also wanted to be able to bring some extra income since I'm retired and taking care of ill husband. I also have an issue with just randomly buying material because of the color, pattern or even just the feel of the material. It's like being in a library I'm addicted to leather bound books and it same addiction with material--love the stuff

Comment

• Oldstitcher
            Machine Stitcher
            • Sep 2016

You have a beautiful outlook on quilting, I thank you

Comment

• Oldstitcher
              Machine Stitcher
              • Sep 2016

Thanks to all who replied appreciate your interest and I have to admit it is a hobby that has me captive. I would like to as one more question how any of you hand stitch versus machine stitch your quilts together?

Comment

• Star lover
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2016

I machine piece, but hand quilt....

Comment

• grammaterry
                  Missouri Star
                  • Dec 2015

I am a scappy quilter due to the costs.i certainly understand wanting to contribute. I find cotton fabric in the goodwill in the sheets and tablecloth section for backings. Sewbizzys makes quilted potholders that sell well. You can't make money for your time but you can support your hobby. I made faux fur hats one year and sold them for $10. I had fun making them. Make a couple of quilts and put them out for sale. Someone will come along! You could run an ad and have quilting classes for young people and teach them the basics. You could get income from that.
                  success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                  Terry of NC

Comment

• PrettyCurious
                    The Guild President
                    • Mar 2016

There's a blog I follow, and HERE she tells how to get some extra money for quilting.
                    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

• JCY
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2013

It seems like someone on the Forum bought used men's shirts at Goodwill or some thrift store, cut them apart & made some nice looking quilts. Where's there's a will, there's a way!

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                        Missouri Star
                        • Apr 2011

Some people here have Etsy account to sell their quilts.....some probably sell them on Ebay.com I am not sure.
                        In response to the costs...you are right, most people don't understand the time, the cost of the fabric etc...and while there are some people who do love quilts, but don't want to make them, many people I have talked to are amazed at what some quilts cost.
                        Same thing goes for sewing or altering garments which I did for years, to supplement our income. I used to make gowns for bridesmaids, flower girls and sometimes outfits for the little boys in the wedding party, but I haven't done that in years. All it takes is one ungrateful picky person and making the gowns for a wedding party suddenly becomes a chore and not an enjoyment.

The real suggestion is: Do you have people asking you to make quilts ? Perhaps you might try making some items and selling them at craft shows during the fall....I do a lot of craft shows here where I live, and while it still isn't going to make me rich, it's an enjoyment to see a little girl or boy find something they really like, such as a quilt or pillowcases etc.
                        I share tables with a couple of gals that do different crafts than I do. The first few years, were slim as far as sales, last year was a no sale year, due to the fact I was ill.....

Another thing, I wouldn't invest in a long arm quilting machine until ( unless you already have one ) you find out if there's a need for quilting services in your area. My DH John has talked about getting a long arm quilting machine, but I am not sure it large quilts would sell here etc. I have found a gal in our county that does quilting fairly reasonable, and if I have a large quilt, I take it to her.

There's also been a lot of discussion here on the forum about making quilts for others.....Most of the people I have made quilts for really appreciate them, and take care of them, but I have had a couple of people that I have given quilts to for a gift and months later I found one of the quilts that I made for a friend, wadded up in their garage with big greasy stain(s) on it, and one of their sons made a comment that " Daddy lays on it when he fixes the cars ! "
                        Well, if you think something like this would bother you.....and at FIRST IT did bother me.....all I could see was the time and care I put into that quilt...and it now looks like a dirty shop rag !! I have never said anything to my friend.....but you can bet it will be a long time ( if ever ) that I gift her any thing else like that. I actually was going to make her daughter who is getting married a quilt as soon as she & her hubby to be finalize the sale on the home they are purchasing. They aren't getting married until January ...and that's seven months away. Hubby to be is going to live in the house until they marry, and the bride to be is excited about painting and decorating etc.So, now, I am in a quandary about making the daughter a quilt for a wedding gift. Although I have never seen the daughter with a messy room etc. and I do know she loves quilting and she does crafts of her own as well....but I am leery about making her a quilt for a wedding gift now. Darn It! I wish now I hadn't seen that quilt in the garage as I did !

Oh well, I have to remind myself I didn't give my friend the quilt with "conditional" uses for the quilt, did I ? Of course not...it's hers to do what she wants with.

Anyway.....keep us posted on what you decide to do.....There's a member or two here that might give you the answer(s) you are looking for !
                        Last edited by redcaboose1717; June 25, 2017, 10:39 AM.
                        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• Monique
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2011

Keep a watch at goodwill stores. I use flannel sheets for the back of my quilts and buy most of them at goodwill. You can also buy cotton sheets there as well. Some have a material section also. Garage sales are also a good place. Some charity groups supply the fabric if you want to do charity quilts. Closing out sales is another. Watch for sales.

You will find what works best for you.
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• shirleyknot
                            Banned
                            Missouri Star
                            • Sep 2014

Keep on hand quilting if you can. Its nearly a lost art, and I have found people will pay a little more for one that is hand quilted. I have the same trouble supporting my habit, but I do manage to sell a couple bed quilts a year for halfway decent money.

Comment

• Georgie Girl
                              The Guild President
                              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
                              Some people here have Etsy account to sell their quilts.....some probably sell them on Ebay.com I am not sure.
                              In response to the costs...you are right, most people don't understand the time, the cost of the fabric etc...and while there are some people who do love quilts, but don't want to make them, many people I have talked to are amazed at what some quilts cost.
                              Same thing goes for sewing or altering garments which I did for years, to supplement our income. I used to make gowns for bridesmaids, flower girls and sometimes outfits for the little boys in the wedding party, but I haven't done that in years. All it takes is one ungrateful picky person and making the gowns for a wedding party suddenly becomes a chore and not an enjoyment.

The real suggestion is: Do you have people asking you to make quilts ? Perhaps you might try making some items and selling them at craft shows during the fall....I do a lot of craft shows here where I live, and while it still isn't going to make me rich, it's an enjoyment to see a little girl or boy find something they really like, such as a quilt or pillowcases etc.
                              I share tables with a couple of gals that do different crafts than I do. The first few years, were slim as far as sales, last year was a no sale year, due to the fact I was ill.....

Another thing, I wouldn't invest in a long arm quilting machine until ( unless you already have one ) you find out if there's a need for quilting services in your area. My DH John has talked about getting a long arm quilting machine, but I am not sure it large quilts would sell here etc. I have found a gal in our county that does quilting fairly reasonable, and if I have a large quilt, I take it to her.

There's also been a lot of discussion here on the forum about making quilts for others.....Most of the people I have made quilts for really appreciate them, and take care of them, but I have had a couple of people that I have given quilts to for a gift and months later I found one of the quilts that I made for a friend, wadded up in their garage with big greasy stain(s) on it, and one of their sons made a comment that " Daddy lays on it when he fixes the cars ! "
                              Well, if you think something like this would bother you.....and at FIRST IT did bother me.....all I could see was the time and care I put into that quilt...and it now looks like a dirty shop rag !! I have never said anything to my friend.....but you can bet it will be a long time ( if ever ) that I gift her any thing else like that. I actually was going to make her daughter who is getting married a quilt as soon as she & her hubby to be finalize the sale on the home they are purchasing. They aren't getting married until January ...and that's seven months away. Hubby to be is going to live in the house until they marry, and the bride to be is excited about painting and decorating etc.So, now, I am in a quandary about making the daughter a quilt for a wedding gift. Although I have never seen the daughter with a messy room etc. and I do know she loves quilting and she does crafts of her own as well....but I am leery about making her a quilt for a wedding gift now. Darn It! I wish now I hadn't seen that quilt in the garage as I did !

Oh well, I have to remind myself I didn't give my friend the quilt with "conditional" uses for the quilt, did I ? Of course not...it's hers to do what she wants with.

Anyway.....keep us posted on what you decide to do.....There's a member or two here that might give you the answer(s) you are looking for !
                              Oh my your experience makes me sad I can't imagine how you feel seeing your quilt treated with such disrespect. I don't know anyone who doesn't marvel at quilts. And being a friend she must know you and your passion of quilting. Wish I could say something to ease that hurt in your heart. As far as making a quilt for her daughter... not sure what I would do. Unless you ask your "friend" her opinion .. I noticed you didn't like the quilt I made you do you think your daughter would want one for a wedding gift? So much love goes into the quilts we make I wouldn't want to hear you were hurt again.

Comment

Working...
                              X