Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to do

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default what to do

Name:  pq55034_5.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  5.4 KB

I finished it. This is Accuquilt's image but mine is identical. I have it sandwiched and want to quilt it. I'm thinking of some form of baptist fan using rulers. However, I would also like to stitch in the ditch and I can't. For some reason the instructions said to press seams open. Would a very narrow stitch along side the seams work? I'd prefer to use white thread. I could use the Pfaff and do a narrow zig. But even then it would show with white. I've used clear before on the Oriental quilt. Got it done but was not the easiest. If I don't like the look of the fan, I might just do diagonal lines crossed, or use crossed curved lines in the circles only.

I can get an image of mine into Photoshop or Illustrator and play with it before really quilting. It's stabilizing those seams that I want to do.
    Last edited by Alpha O; June 22nd, 2017 at 12:10 PM.

2. Thanks Yanna thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what to do

I've been doing a BOM with Leah Day who encourages pressing seams open, especially for gorgeous and complicated blocks like yours. However, she urges a very short stitch length, 1.5 or so. I have been doing this and then doing all the ditching needed before filling in with FMQ. There are no problems with this method, as long as your stitch is short. In fact, you avoid many areas with multiple converging seam allowances that are very hard to quilt with this method. It's working for me and others in the BOM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I press all my seams open and have no problem to ditch.

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    I've been doing a BOM with Leah Day who encourages pressing seams open, especially for gorgeous and complicated blocks like yours. However, she urges a very short stitch length, 1.5 or so. I have been doing this and then doing all the ditching needed before filling in with FMQ. There are no problems with this method, as long as your stitch is short. In fact, you avoid many areas with multiple converging seam allowances that are very hard to quilt with this method. It's working for me and others in the BOM.
    It wasn't short. The usual 10/12 stitches per inch. I read that stitching in the ditch with some quilts would cut the piecing thread.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I press mine to the side [except for some seams that really need to be pressed open] and I don't care what the instructions say. I know I will be stitching in the ditch, and I want to be able to sew on the fabric.

That said, I have seen many quilts where they stitch next to the seam, and they look nice. Why not match the colors? Angela Walters does.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha O View Post
    I read that stitching in the ditch with some quilts would cut the piecing thread.
    What? Is this true? I just did stitch in the ditch with my Fancy Forrest quilt - did I wreck it?

Jeannette

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Jeannette, I think she meant if you stitch in the ditch on seams that were pressed open, you are basically stitching only on the piecing thread, batting and backing, and not the actual quilt top fabric. Some think this will damage the piecing threads.
    I haven't done this, so I can't say for sure what will happen, but I won't do it because I think there is some merrit to peoples fears about it.
    Last edited by PrettyCurious; June 22nd, 2017 at 09:50 PM.

9. Thanks CraftyJnet thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

stitching 1/4" from the seam is called echo quilting. I did it on one quilt and it came out very pretty.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have pressed my seams open and switched in the ditch for a couple years now, and have never had a problem and my quilts have been heavily used.. I do use a 1.7 stitch length and piece with Aurifil thread. Pressing seams open makes FMQ on my sewing machine so much easier. But I glide rather than hop... If I used a hopping foot instead, then it would not matter as much.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I've done many quilts doing echo quilting..... stitching in the ditch makes me paranoid...so I'm glad to see I'm not alone.... your quilt is amazing and I can see why you would be concerned.... I like your idea of crossed curved lines or circles.... I've seems quilts with that type of quilting and they just look absolutely astonishing....I say go for it
    Priscilla Lujan
    Los Angeles, CA