• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlohaSandy
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2010

Heat n Bond and stabilizer

I have a customer that wants me to keep some of babies clothes in one piece including overalls and jackets. Can I use a stabilizer and Heat N Bond with these she didn't want to cut them at all but I told her I had to cut the backs off to make sure they layed flat. She's not using the quilt once I am done she's packing them for safe keeping and giving them later in life.
    sigpicHawaiigrammi
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Re: Heat n Bond and stabilizer

I would tell her huh? and to find someone else. Then say I don't do craft projects.

Maybe she should put them in shadow boxes.
    Last edited by Hulamoon; June 21, 2017, 04:28 PM.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Sharyn J
      Missouri Star
      • Oct 2012

I don't have any idea how to make one without cutting to lay flat. I've seen a few on Etsy and it appears that the items were cut. There are also a number of youtube videos as well, but most of them show sections of the garments, rather than the whole clothing piece. Personally, I wouldn't take the job. Sounds like a LOT of work.

I make your memories as personal as possible. I take whatever items you decide to send from the early years of your childs childhood and turn them into a permanent family loved heirloom. I try my best to pull out the personality of you and your child by the choices in clothing you send. It usually

Comment

• AlohaSandy
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
        I would tell her huh? and to find someone else. Then say I don't do craft projects.

Maybe she should put them in shadow boxes.
        Lol my thoughts exactly lol never heard of doing it this way before lol
        sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

• AlohaSandy
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sharyn J View Post
          I don't have any idea how to make one without cutting to lay flat. I've seen a few on Etsy and it appears that the items were cut. There are also a number of youtube videos as well, but most of them show sections of the garments, rather than the whole clothing piece. Personally, I wouldn't take the job. Sounds like a LOT of work.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2875134...099c:287513475
          I told her I had to cut the backs off there was no other way she agreed to let me and trust me I've charged her plenty bucks lol she had 3 and will see if I do the other 2 I have 2 years before she leaves the island.
          sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

• AlohaSandy
            Missouri Star
            • Nov 2010

Thanks for these Etsy can't believe the prices hope she doesn't look at these lol yikes lol
            sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

• redcaboose1717
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2011

Maybe you could show her the pics from the Etsy Shop that Sharon J posted here.....but honestly I don't know how you would do them if you didn't cut them ?
              I kinda of agree with Lorie here ......I am making Memory Quilts for each one of my kids from their dad's clothing....but I am cutting the shirts and neck ties up....not just sewing the garment on fabric......There's no way I would do that.....Sounds like a craft project like Lorie said ! LOL!

Let us know what you come up with though.......
              Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
              http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• AlohaSandy
                Missouri Star
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
                Maybe you could show her the pics from the Etsy Shop that Sharon J posted here.....but honestly I don't know how you would do them if you didn't cut them ?
                I kinda of agree with Lorie here ......I am making Memory Quilts for each one of my kids from their dad's clothing....but I am cutting the shirts and neck ties up....not just sewing the garment on fabric......There's no way I would do that.....Sounds like a craft project like Lorie said ! LOL!

Let us know what you come up with though.......
                I really think of it like that but I'm trying to talk her into more of a quilt I told her I wasn't able to make it without cutting it to lay flat and she's agreed. She has 6 items she didn't want me to cut but she knows now it can't be done. The rest I can use and cut. But still haven't answered my question can i use both stabilizer and Heat N Bond? Mahalo
                sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

• Hulamoon
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2012

I never use stabilizer along with a fusible. I never saw the reason for it. Maybe someone will come along with that answer. I'm glad she's not being difficult to deal with
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

• AlohaSandy
                    Missouri Star
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                    I never use stabilizer along with a fusible. I never saw the reason for it. Maybe someone will come along with that answer. I'm glad she's not being difficult to deal with
                    No she's extremely easygoing
                    sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

• Carol336
                      Missouri Star
                      • May 2013

I'm amazed at these prices....no way on God's green earth would I do it for that little. More like double or triple....

Comment

• pixiedust0830
                        Batting Beauty
                        • Apr 2013

I have a similar problem sort of.... except mine are kids bedding instead of kids clothes....let me tell ya some of those blankets are SUPER THICK!!! I was like " wait a minute here" I don't think I can do the really thick blankets because they have no back it's all the same single piece on both sides... the lady just left me her big black trash bag full of her 3 daughters blankets for me to figure out... long story short ...it's been over a year and the lady changed her contact info and I have no way of connecting with her... the bag is still in my sewing room shoved to a corner.... I don't know what to do with it.... like you Sandy I was thinking heat and bond but when I spoke to her about purchasing stabilizer I never heard from her again....oh yeah and top it off I already had everything cut out and ready to sew....lol....so I feel you....you are lucky that she's easy going
                        Priscilla Lujan
                        Los Angeles, CA:icon_cool:

Comment

• AlohaSandy
                          Missouri Star
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pixiedust0830 View Post
                          I have a similar problem sort of.... except mine are kids bedding instead of kids clothes....let me tell ya some of those blankets are SUPER THICK!!! I was like " wait a minute here" I don't think I can do the really thick blankets because they have no back it's all the same single piece on both sides... the lady just left me her big black trash bag full of her 3 daughters blankets for me to figure out... long story short ...it's been over a year and the lady changed her contact info and I have no way of connecting with her... the bag is still in my sewing room shoved to a corner.... I don't know what to do with it.... like you Sandy I was thinking heat and bond but when I spoke to her about purchasing stabilizer I never heard from her again....oh yeah and top it off I already had everything cut out and ready to sew....lol....so I feel you....you are lucky that she's easy going
                          Wow what a mess you didn't get an address for her to bed and did she already pay you hopefully at least a deposit?
                          sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

• pixiedust0830
                            Batting Beauty
                            • Apr 2013

She left me with $ 45 deposit... so I had figured I would draw out some patterns I could do based on the bedding... but I soon realized that I wasn't going to use most of the bedding..... so I decided to cut it into salvageable pieces to get a better idea... I messaged the lady 2 times with a response from her but from then on I couldn't get in touch anymore... so I've been stuck with them since...
                            Priscilla Lujan
                            Los Angeles, CA:icon_cool:

Comment

• AlohaSandy
                              Missouri Star
                              • Nov 2010

That really awful that she did that to you. I guess I should also get address from now on lol. Guess you learned your lesson right lol
                              sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Working...
                              X