Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Backing tutorial

Sometime Jenny shows the back of a quilt but most of the time she doesn't so I would like to suggest that we see the back of all the quilts in the tutorials. Also, a tutorial just on backing would be great. For instance, are all your backs just one fabric or do you do designs on the back as well? Thanks for all the inspiration and help.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Backing tutorial

If the quilt is special or for a particular person I buy enough for the back that coordinates with the front. Sometimes I'll use what I have since when I first started quilting I had no idea you could make a quilt out of quarter pieces so I bought yards and yards and yards. I like taking my left over pieces from my front and creating a backing although an expert here mentioned about to many seams for quilting. My friend does hand quilting for me (I know lucky me) and she hasn't had any problems so far. But listen to the experts they know more then I do.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like my backs to look as good as the fronts so I usually use a print of some sort. This helps hide bobbles in my quilting.
    I have made them from wide backing or random yardage, whatever I find either in my stash, a shop, or online.
    I think Crafysy has a free class on making interesting backs.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to McCalls Quilting with some quilt backing ideas http://www.mccallsquilting.com/blogs...backing-ideas/ Some of these so called quilt backs look like quilt fronts to me.

Kelly at my quilt infatuation makes pretty quilt backs for her quilts (no tutorial.) http://www.myquiltinfatuation.com/