Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dreading the mosquitoes!!!

I wonder if anyone can help? The family and I will be coming to Florida in 5 weeks for a 2 weeks holiday and I understand the mosquitoes are rife at that time. Can anyone suggest a good repellent? They usually like to make a meal of me - last year I had 39 bites in 4 days whilst on holiday in Spain!!

My GS has a serious allergy to insect bites (has to carry an epipen) so would really appreciate some advice. Had thought to stock up on whatever as soon as we land. Thank you in advance.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dreading the mosquitoes!!!

These work well. Each person can have their own
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/OFF-Clip-...5975/203187963

Lorie

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

They also love me we live in North Carolina and I have to use deep woods off every time I am outside for more then a couple of minutes. I do try to do all my outside stuff in the morning and wear what I call my grub clothes and shower after coming inside. I tried all the things you wear on you clothes but they did not work for me. Good luck. Maybe ask your dr about what would be best.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mosquitos love me, too. I try not to go outside to water the plants too late in the evening. In Colorado, we've had concerns for some years about West Nile Virus. I got bit several yrs. ago & had a mild case, but had a fever, rash, & sooooo tired! I missed 2 wks. of work. Parts of FL have had cases of the Zika Virus. Be aware of the areas to which you travel if there is any threat there. Many years ago they used to say one of the Avon products helped ward off mosquitos. It was an bath oil; I've forgotten the name of it. Enjoy your vacation.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    Mosquitos love me, too. I try not to go outside to water the plants too late in the evening. In Colorado, we've had concerns for some years about West Nile Virus. I got bit several yrs. ago & had a mild case, but had a fever, rash, & sooooo tired! I missed 2 wks. of work. Parts of FL have had cases of the Zika Virus. Be aware of the areas to which you travel if there is any threat there. Many years ago they used to say one of the Avon products helped ward off mosquitos. It was an bath oil; I've forgotten the name of it. Enjoy your vacation.
    I have some of the Avon somewhere around here. It's a lotion. Here are some sites on it. It wasn't made for repellant.

https://www.google.com/#q=avon+lotio...=1497566495269

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Skin-So-Soft; the bath oil one. It does help. So does dabbing Vicks on your skin.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you do get bit, heat up a spoon under running hot water, then hold that on the bite. It will kill the enzymes and the itching will stop. You sometimes have to do it 2x.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your kind advice. Unfortunately I'll be unable to use the Avon product as I am prone to prickly heat so can't use any type of oils. Oh the joys of a 'fair' skin!!

I will investigate the other links. That's a good idea with a spoon, Pat, thank you!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mosquitos adore me and flock round to socialize and have a drink or two. I have tried everything. Forget about the Skin So Soft. Smells great, but doesn't deter them. forget about the repellent bracelets and so-called 'organic' solutions. You want a repellent with DEET in it. Deep woods Off! is pretty good or Cutter. I too live in an area where we have West Nile Virus, which is mosquito borne, but of course, in Florida, with the heat this year Zika virus will return. No one seems quite sure how bad it will be. I assume pregnancy is not in your plans?