Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Board basting - what are your thoughts

I use this too and it works perfectly. Large and small. Although, I have found that oval shaped tables don't work so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnke_KzeTI8

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Couldn't you use a piece of pvc pipe instead? They come in all sorts of sizes.
    I thought of pvc, but wouldn't it be slippery? Maybe if you wrapped it in pipe insulation. Also saw something on pool noodles.

I watched a good tutorial last night and it certainly looks doable. I'm worried about getting my quilt top flat and square. It seems a little stretched at the triangle intersections.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link to Sharon Schamber's method. It is now the method I use on large or small quilts. I bought 3 8 ft. boards. 2 are still 8 feet long for doing queen size quilts, 1 board hubby cut in half (4 ft) to use on smaller quilts. It would help to staple some batting or flannel to your boards so that it grips the fabric better and doesn't slide around and helps keep everything taut. You can pin baste with this method ( I have), but I prefer thread basting. I really hate the pins and sometimes the holes they leave are large. I hand quilt most of the time and don't have puckering issues anymore. (I did with the pins, I think the layers slide too much with them) I tend to baste a little closer than Sharon Schamber does.Also, she mentions basting with fine tatting thread, I do that now as well. Once I used hand quilting thread, but it is too "slidey" and the layers shifted. The rougher tatting thread grips the fabric layers better. I bought a lot of size 70 tatting thread cheap off EBay so the cost is minimal. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

4. Thanks SallyO'Sews, DeniseSm, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the board method on the lap quilts I've done recently and love it. Even standing bent over the table gets to my back after a short while, so being able to sit is really useful.

Somebody (can't remember whether it was Sharon Shamber or someone else) said that you need to starch the backing fabric before you begin rolling it on the board. I did, and it worked for me. I also like the fact that there are no pins; I have a bad habit of sticking myself repeatedly with the straight ones, and I for whatever reason, the bent safety pins are a rather major pain. I just snip the basting threads as I come to them... and they hold the sandwich together really well.

Hope that helps!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of board basting. I still crawl around on the floor! LOL If I make a big quilt, I send it out to the LAer who does it for me. I usually don't quilt anything much larger than lap size.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I use this method all the time and have never had any problems. I also baste it with thread instead of pins.
    Kelly

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have good luck with the board basting. I think it works best if you cover the boards with flannel or batting. The fabric grips to it and it helps keep it more snug. I did try with pvc once. I prefer a flat board. The round tends to roll away on me. I also tried pool noodles, but they bend too easily.

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used Sharon Shamber's board basting method for 3 years And I love it! I use MDF boards (they are 1x3) so were pre-primed. Got them at Home Depot, And use them on folding tables put end to end. Can baste really large quilts. Her YouTube videos show how to do this and its great. Plus I can clean up stray threads etc so they don't show between the layers (you know, the shadow of threads).

I followed Sharon's advice and use DMC white tatting thread to baste. It doesn't slip but removes easily. I can even stitch over it when quilting occasionally, because the loose twist of the tatting thread makes it easy to remove. Just clip the basting thread close to the quilting thread and tug gently - it untwists and lifts off. No more running into safety pins or getting sore trying to clip and unclip them.

This method let's me get a great baste, no puckers front or back, and I don't hurt any more when basting. My back and knees are so much happier! I set my folding table(s) up end to end, grab my boards, backing, batting, and top. Load the back and top on the boards (see her video), put in a DVD, grab my sewing chair, get comfortable and get basting. It felt weird and I was nervous the first couple times but now its a breeze.

I recommend the backing be at least 2" wider (3 is better) all the way around than the top on large quilts. And I 'cheat' and use painters tape to secure the back and top to the boards when I start wrapping them on the boards - just found it easier on the really large quilts.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Julie A; June 15th, 2017 at 10:42 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use it all the time-largest quilt was a large double-almost queen-size. That was a bit tricky but it did turn out well. I hand quilted that one. I usually make smaller quilts and find i have much better results hand basting with the boards than any other method. You do have to smooth a lot as you go but IMO it's worth it
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the comment on starching the backing. Wow what a difference it makes, both in basting and on the machine - I FMQ on my sewing machine. When I hand quilt in my hoop, I use a very light starching so my needle glides more easily. And the thread basting means no pins to be moved in the hoop or on the frame in hand quilting - lot easier!