Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default .....here is what we learned.

As I said, his wound start oozing different colors yesterday. We already had an appointment scheduled for today, so they decided when he called late last night that it could wait till this afternoon.

We knew last week that our appointment today would be quick and easy (hahahahaha!), so he double booked us w/an hour appointment thinking he would check him quickly and be one his way to the hour appointment. Well, he popped in and was very dismayed with what was going on. He immediately sent MM down for an emergency cat scan and then came back in to see us.

It seems that he has a perforation, in the intestine/bowel. They removed about six inches of it in the first surgery back in March to make the stoma. Then we fast forward to April when he had his massive infection and they had to operate again. They checked then to see if there was a perforation, but they were not able to find one and cleaned out the infection and closed him up. That infection was about seven inches below his belly button. He was on constant IV antibiotics in the hospital for five days and came home with more to take by mouth. No sooner did he finish those and he got the UTI, so he was back on antibiotics for ten days.

We then had a doctor appointment, and thinking everything was well, we were told good bye and given his blessings to go up to our lake place. While there, about two inches below his belly button, a hole opened up and started oozing. That was when we made the crazy 1.5 hour dash into urgent care for him to be seen. Back he went on antibiotics for ten days.

He finished them the end of last week and I jokingly told him I figured he would have another infection by Monday, maybe Tuesday. Well, it happened on Sunday night. Not happy. Since it is oozing, he does not need antibiotics, but they will be monitoring him closely.

Not just the urologist, but internal medicine, general surgery, and a dietician as well as the IV department! He has to go on 'bowel rest', which means no food and will have an IV line hooked into his port so we can hook him up at home several times a day. This will give his innards a chance to heal since he won't be eating, which means he won't be pooping. MM figured it would go on a week and was not concerned. When the doctor was explaining all this, I asked how long, one week, two weeks? He said weeks. I said like weeks as in months? He said, no, probably four weeks. If at that time bad things are still going on, they will go in and operate. It is his and the surgeons opinion that if allowed to rest, they perforation will close on its own, which is what we are hoping for as he has used up all his sick and disability time with all the difficulties he has been thru.

So.....that is where we are. We were so dumbfounded that instead of going down to the lab like we were supposed to, we walked out and got in the car and drove away several miles to eat and didn't remember till we got there! So we ate and got back before the lab closed. They need to know just what type of stuff needs to be put into the IVs for him. Apparently this includes the pole to wheel around!

I have to laugh about it all, crying is too exhausting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zip a dee doo dah.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	143844
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: .....here is what we learned.

I'm so sorry. Saying more prayers.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness...I am praying and sending you a hug. Wish I could do more. You have had way, way too much!

5. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You 2 have been through way too much, you really need a break. Praying for you peeps.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

7. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm praying for you both.

Jeannette

9. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers being lifted for both of you, the road has been awfully bumpy for y'all.
    Beth

11. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, Pat. You were so sure all was going well. My prayers will continue for you both. I know you are disappointed.

13. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am disappointed, and exhausted, and I don't know what else. When we left today, after our 'quick appointment', two and a half hours after we got there, the doctor said....just wait, in three months you'll forget all about this! Frankly, I doubt I will ever forget about this! I must have been real bad somewhere along the line and this is payback.

Dolores, let it go on record that I am sorry I flashed you at the retreat last year!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you Pat, I don't think you will ever forget this journey. As for your comment to Dolores, I'm glad you still have your sense of humor.

16. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would be screaming while standing in the middle of a highway. There has got to be something totally amazing at the end of this journey because you surely will deserve it.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

18. Thanks bubba thanked for this post