Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default What color thread? Summer in the Park

I am making a Summer in the Park quilt using bright pinks, blues and gold (Hello Love design), pink/gold print border, gold solid. Background is cream. What color thread should I use for quilting. I suppose I'll need a gold thread for the bobbin, but what about the top. This is only my second quilt project. I tried using the monofilament thread in the top for my first quilt but that seemed to be a nightmare, so I switched to a natural which worked fine. But this quilt has a lot of cream.

One additional question - how much thread should I need for a full size quilt?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170609_182420.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	143799
    Last edited by Kato52; June 11th, 2017 at 12:40 PM.

2. Thanks Wyora thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What color thread? Summer in the Park

I would probably use a cream thread so that it blended with the background as much as possible. You didn't say if you were going to stitch in the ditch or all over quilt. I almost always stitch in the ditch so thread color isn't as important. One spool of thread is enough if you aren't doing real close meandering type of quilting. But ask Jean, she will have a much better idea since I haven't been quilting that long either. Good luck on your quilt and please post pictures.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an idea I would not have thought of but I like it. Haven't tried it yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2017-06-11 at 11.50.30 AM.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	143802
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, what type of machine will you be using for the quilting and what type of quilting will you be doing? Stitch in the Ditch or free motion quilting.

If you plan on stitch in the ditch, I recommend a thread that matches your cream. And use a walking foot. Some like to do a serpentine stitch over the seams. It looks nice and is a lot easier than trying to stay in the "ditch".

And unless you have perfect tension, your bobbin thread should match your top tread or you might see little dots of color. Try a test first with some scrap fabric/batting.

BTW, your quilt top is very pretty. I think you should rename it to Spring in the Park.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow almost the same fabric I used for that quilt pattern. I sent min out to a longarmer and used white to match the back ground with a simple meander pattern.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Superior Threads app How Much Thread is the name, I think. It's free in the Apple App Store. They have not steered me wrong so far, and it gives you the answer in yards so you aren't forced to do math to extrapolate from their brand. It's bases the answer on the size of the quilt and categories with descriptions for the amount of quilting you are doing.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What size spool of thread are you using? Just a reg. size spool or a larger cone of thread? I can't imagine quilting a full size quilt on only 1 spool of thread, esp. if you use the same color on top & bottom. I would match the thread to the light/white strips & do an all over FMQ pattern. IMO, it's less time-consuming than SITD. Less twisting & turning of the quilt sandwich. Your quilt blocks are very colorful; I like that fabric.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhh... love that fabric, that's going to be a beautiful quilt. I'd go with a lighter thread as others have suggested.