Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: self healing cutting mat

Is there any known 'trick' to help 'self healing' mats heal from lots of cutting? I seem to remember that some folks would put them in their bathtubs or something like that but never understood why? Anyone know how to prolong the life of our cutting mats?
    Miss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy, I have always used either Olfa Mats or Fiskars Mats....and both of these mats are over 10 yrs old. I sew almost EVERY day, and so that means I am usually cutting fabric 4-5 times per week.
    I would recommend either the Olfa or the Fiskars SELF-HEALING mats......What they mean ( in case you didn't know ) about "SELF-HEALING" mats is that after several uses ( I do this about every 20-25 times I cut fabric on the mat ) you need to take your mat over the kitchen or laundry sink and using a sponge ( or dishcloth ) wet the sponge or cloth and apply a small amount of dish soap ( I use Dawn or Gain ) and wash the mat. After washing it, rinse it well...This keeps your mat in good condition for years.

Right now, I checked on Jo-Ann Fabrics and they have Olfa Mats on sale....( they have them online for sale too...but there's a $4.99 shipping charge.)
    Right now, I have a coupon that I signed up for that comes weekly to my cell phone and I can use TWO of the coupons I have. One is $5.00 off if I spend $30 or more...and the other coupon I can use is a 20 % off your TOTAL PURCHASE !
    So Kathy, if you have a Jo-Ann fabrics in your area, I would sign up so that the coupons come in your cell phone if you have one, or just sign up online and print out the coupons.

I also have a 12"x12" Olfa Turning mat that I love. The 12"x12" Turning Mat is about 4 yrs old...and looks BRAND NEW. I actually purchased the Fiskars Mat at Wal-Mart when I left my Olfa Mat at my friends home in Georgia,and didn't want to wait 8 wks for her sister to bring it back to Michigan for me, that's why I have two that are 24" x 36".

Also, I think a smaller mat would suffice...I purchased the bigger ones prior to asking quilters about sizes of the mats.....but then again, I do like the larger mats at times. So, depending on what sale you could find, would determine the size mat to purchase.

Good Luck....let us know what you decide !

Name:  bdf73429e0537c8def3eb8f5b988010b by.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  16.2 KB

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

3. Thanks Miss Sheri thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Martelli cutting mat. I just purchased my 30x60 in June and its only July. I use it maybe 4 to 6 hours a day, i am left handed not that that should matter , and i noticed i had little cut marks in my new mat and trust me they werent healing!! And this mat i just paid over $200.00 for been saving for awhile ,anyways i contacted them and the response i got back was that i was not cutting correctly!! Really?? I have had the cheap green mat since i started quilting over 1 year ago and i dont have 1 cut mark in it i told them. So it had nothing to do with the way i was cutting. So they emailed back and offered me a one time replacement for $75.00 and a video on how to use a cutter.. I took the video as a slap in my face and will not purchase anything from them ever again! I have several of their products and just love them but only have that expensive mat for about 30 days and thats what they said. Just beware if your investing that much money on their products because i feel they arent willing to stand behind them .. Thought e1 should be aware…

5. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a Fiskars almost every day for 10 years and the markings are still fresh and it shows no wear. And I have never soaked it in the bathtub. I too would be outraged if I paid $200 for a mat that got damaged that quickly. And to tell you that you are cutting wrong?!! For that price you should be able to cut on that mat standing on your head with your eyes closed and not damage the mat. What crummy customer service. Thank you for alerting us!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katesenical View Post
    Re: Martelli cutting mat. I just purchased my 30x60 in June and its only July. I use it maybe 4 to 6 hours a day, i am left handed not that that should matter , and i noticed i had little cut marks in my new mat and trust me they werent healing!! And this mat i just paid over $200.00 for been saving for awhile ,anyways i contacted them and the response i got back was that i was not cutting correctly!! Really?? I have had the cheap green mat since i started quilting over 1 year ago and i dont have 1 cut mark in it i told them. So it had nothing to do with the way i was cutting. So they emailed back and offered me a one time replacement for $75.00 and a video on how to use a cutter.. I took the video as a slap in my face and will not purchase anything from them ever again! I have several of their products and just love them but only have that expensive mat for about 30 days and thats what they said. Just beware if your investing that much money on their products because i feel they arent willing to stand behind them .. Thought e1 should be aware…
    Please know that I don't mean to be critical but I'd like to point out something I noticed on their video. They explained how the way we cut can take a chunk out of our mats. If we hold our cutter at even a slight angle it will result in deep gashes in the mat. You didn't say if you were also using their cutter. When I looked at their video I thought, for me anyway, it would be a steep learning curve.

Besides all that, and I've asked the question before on this forum and never gotten a convincing answer, exactly what is it that makes a Martelli mat worth that kind of money?

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

What problems did you have with the Martelli cutter? What do you recommend instead?