Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions about making the Curved Log Cabin Quilt

Hi,
    I have been watching the Curved Log Cabin Quilt Tutorial Jenny made about 3 yrs ago, and the more I watch it, the more I want to make it.
    Here's the video for those of you who might not know about the video :
    https://youtu.be/YZTP3h_tIGE

Anyway,my question is this :
    Creative Grids has rulers to make creating the Curvy Log Cabin easier to make.....and when watching Jenny's tutorial on the Curved Log Cabin, I am wondering if I really need to purchase the rulers from Creative Grid ? So, if you have made the Curved Log Cabin with the tutorial Jenny did, and felt that you didn't need the rulers, I would love to know what you think. However if you purchased the Creative Grid Rulers despite Jenny's awesome tutorial instructions, would you please comment on how you might have felt that purchasing the rulers made it easier to make the curvy /curved log cabin ?

Thanks so much.....MSQC sells the Curvy Log Cabin Rulers on their website. I will add the link to this comment so you can see what rulers I am refering to.
    https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...inished-blocks

Thanks for taking the time to read my question !!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garfield .jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	143696

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Questions about making the Curved Log Cabin Quilt

If you are using precut strips as Jenny did, I can't see why you would need special rulers. I am working on one now, and do not have any special rulers and it is working out just fine. I am doing as Jenny suggested and am Chain piecing the strips, and just cutting the chained pieces apart with a scissors. I didn't even know there were special rulers made for this project.

3. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't watch the video but did Jenny use the rulers? How much use will you get from this ruler? Is it worth the expense? Sorry I am not much help!
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am not much help either as I am frugal and do not buy (or very often) a ruler if I can do without it. Same with patterns if I see a quilt I like I try and graph it out before spending $$ on a pattern I will only use once. Rather spend that money on fabric...or my weakness stencils, since I use them for my all over FMQ. But of course that's me and each should do what works best for them.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I made my curved log cabin with the CG ruler and while i was happy with the results, I don't think I will be using it again. I find I prefer pre cutting the logs, as I felt it was far more accurate and the results were far superior and less tedious that cutting down after each round, YMMV.
    Last edited by classynsassy; June 8th, 2017 at 09:24 AM.

7. Thanks PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have made two quilts using Jenny's method, no special rulers needed. This is my go to pattern for a log cabin.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red white curved log cabin.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	143702

9. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jenny didn't use the CG rulers in the video....she used a ruler to cut the strips into the smaller squares etc.

Thanks everyone....I think I am just going to follow the tutorial that Jenny has done.....I normally don't purchase "special " things....especially to make something like a Log Cabin quilt....I mean who knows ? I might just make only one, and so the idea of purchasing $20-$40 worth of rulers....after I have read all of your comments here, is kind of silly.
    I have watched this video of Jenny's on the Curvy Log Cabin....and I love the quilt she made. I am in the process of looking at Jelly Rolls now, and have been for several months. At first I thought of doing the log cabin in purples etc....but the more I see the video Jenny made...the more I like the colors she used.

BTW.....The main reason I asked questions about the Log Cabin Rulers from CG was I really was amazed with a couple of the quilts I seen on the YouTube video .....Here's the video I seen....I really liked the "Christmas Tree " Quilt !
    https://youtu.be/WStMbQJvjdw

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the ruler and had the same question. I have just about made up my mind to try Jenny's way and skip the ruler as that ruler may only get used once. Also, and I may be wrong, I believe the curve effect was from the placement of the blocks: dark to dark and light to light. I am trying to be more disciplined about buying tools that I will use for more than one task.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the video for the Curved Log Cabin that Jenny made here at MSQC.
    She didn't use any special rulers...just a regular ruler to cut the fabric squares and strips.

https://youtu.be/YZTP3h_tIGE

Thanks everyone for ALL your awesome comments. I think I will forego purchasing any special rulers to make a Curved Log Cabin.....I really love the colors that Jenny chose for the quilt she made in the tutorial. I think I am going to place an order later today and get something along the color line Jenny used.
    I thought maybe I might chose some color combo....but I really like the colors of the Jelly Roll that Jenny used, so I will try to find something close to that.

One of the awesome things I like about the forum is that everyone is always willing to help.....thanks so much, I appreciate all your information everyone !
    I have a Jelly roll & a ruler coming from MSQC later today......there again, I am going to be waiting patiently for the mailman !

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have this ruler and think it is very usefull, my blocks came out very nice but I am sure you can make your quilt without....
    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli