Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting A Little Nervous About Vacation

My DH and I are meeting up with my three siblings in Oregon at the end of the month, for a vacation/reunion. We are all senior citizens by now. I haven't flown since before 9/11. (I swore then I wouldn't fly anymore) So I am kind of anxious about it. Not the flight itself, but the getting to the airport, traffic in St Louis with my DH driving...Ack! and the hassle of TSA.
    Even finding clothes to wear (I hate to shop for clothes) and trying to get DH to get his stuff organized. He will wait till the day of the flight to pack, and then try to take big bottles of everything, I just know.
    I think I need a drink. Or at least chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Getting A Little Nervous About Vacation

Oh yes, chocolate. Lots of chocolate. Good choice.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks kaydee, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You'll do great, Snip! Try to focus on the joy of seeing your family, and not the anxiety of getting there.

The TSA thing really isn't so bad; think of it like waiting in line at the grocery store.

Do try not to wear lace-up shoes, in case they make you take yours off; see if you can find some comfy slip-ons. And see if you can get some empty small bottles for DH's toiletries; my DD just bought some at Wal-Mart, but you can probably find them at the dollar store as well. That said, if you are checking luggage, have your DH put his big bottles in large zip-loc bags and stick them in his suitcase.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hate flying too and found it calms my nerves to be ultra prepared. My husband now knows not to push me or delay when we travel or I will get all sorts of stress (which means HE will be the receiver of said stress).

So here are my hints to you:
    Wear shoes that are easy on and off. You will have to remove your shoes during security.
    If security wants to pat you down-just smile and let them. It goes by fast. Don't stress over it.
    I wear knee high compression socks because sometimes my ankles and feet swell. I found them at Walmart.
    Wear simple clothing. I tend to wear stretchy pants (bell bottom yoga pants that are made with thicker than normal yoga pants material and are on the loose side) a simple shirt and a light sweater.
    Have your photo ID ready, you will have to show it.
    Have cash on hand and bring a major credit card. If you want to purchase food on the plane, I think you can only do it with a major credit card.
    Buy a bottle of water and a snack once you clear security. You probably won't need it, but it's nice to have just in case there is a delay while you are on the plane.
    Remember your phone and charging cord for your take on luggage. I also load up my Kindle Fire with a couple shows I like that make me smile. I always pack my own ear buds for listening.

Try to relax and focus on the wonderful time you will have once you arrive!!

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SallyO'Sews View Post
    You'll do great, Snip! Try to focus on the joy of seeing your family, and not the anxiety of getting there.

The TSA thing really isn't so bad; think of it like waiting in line at the grocery store.

Do try not to wear lace-up shoes, in case they make you take yours off; see if you can find some comfy slip-ons. And see if you can get some empty small bottles for DH's toiletries; my DD just bought some at Wal-Mart, but you can probably find them at the dollar store as well. That said, if you are checking luggage, have your DH put his big bottles in large zip-loc bags and stick them in his suitcase.

Hope you have a wonderful time!
    The last few flights we arranged for wheelchairs to pick us up at the terminal entrance and they wisked us and our carry on bags to our departure gate. Each time check in was a breeze as we were taken to the front of the line and went onto to the plane before 1st Class. We also arranged wheelchair pick up for when we arrived at our detestation and saved ourselves long walks to luggage pick up. We also were brought to wherever we were being picked up or to where we got a bus to the car rental area. The service is free but well worth the tips we gave the staff who transported us, especially on the trip home when you're tired.

We also arranged to be seated in the front row of Economy class, a little more space for our aching bones to get in and out of our seats and no tall guy seated in front of us who reclined into our laps. This service had a charge but each of the airline Senor Reps we spoke to always waved it. Another note, make sure you have something to eat with you - no more little packs of peanuts so some chocolate is needed.
    Last edited by MayinJerset; June 6th, 2017 at 01:08 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything RiverMomm has said. The air temp on a plane seems to vary so a sweater is a must for me.

If at all possible, pack everything in a carry on bag so you don't have to worry about checking luggage, and not having it reach your destination. You can have a carry on bag to place in the overhead compartment and you can each have a personal bag for under your seat. I always take a tote bag with my small purse inside and my husband will take a backpack, usually with my stuff in it! Speaking of purses, to simplify things for yourself, pare yours down to just the necessities.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverMomm View Post
    I hate flying too and found it calms my nerves to be ultra prepared. My husband now knows not to push me or delay when we travel or I will get all sorts of stress (which means HE will be the receiver of said stress).

So here are my hints to you:
    Wear shoes that are easy on and off. You will have to remove your shoes during security.
    If security wants to pat you down-just smile and let them. It goes by fast. Don't stress over it.
    I wear knee high compression socks because sometimes my ankles and feet swell. I found them at Walmart.
    Wear simple clothing. I tend to wear stretchy pants (bell bottom yoga pants that are made with thicker than normal yoga pants material and are on the loose side) a simple shirt and a light sweater.
    Have your photo ID ready, you will have to show it.
    Have cash on hand and bring a major credit card. If you want to purchase food on the plane, I think you can only do it with a major credit card.
    Buy a bottle of water and a snack once you clear security. You probably won't need it, but it's nice to have just in case there is a delay while you are on the plane.
    Remember your phone and charging cord for your take on luggage. I also load up my Kindle Fire with a couple shows I like that make me smile. I always pack my own ear buds for listening.

Try to relax and focus on the wonderful time you will have once you arrive!!
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a clear "pouch" that I got from a shop hop that hangs around your neck like a work badge. I put my driver's license, insurance card, ticket, a list of allergies and medications, a couple of $20 bills and a Valium inside. My doctor gives me a Valium to take before I head for the airport, one for coming back home and three "just in case." I hate, hate, hate to fly.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have a great trip. You will do fine!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Out of necessity, at large airports, I also get a wheelchair to take me to and from the gate. Every single time, they have taken us (MM gets to walk along) to the front of the line and right thru security. The last time we flew out of SeaTac this spring, he got in line with everyone else and we waited. I had no problem with that because it was early in the morning and we were only in line five or ten minutes. One thing we always do, is tip the wheelchair pusher $5. You don't have to, but believe me, it's worth it!

What part of Oregon will you be in? If you are near Portland, try to get in a trip to Fabric Depot. There is a shop called The Pine Cone in Lake Oswego that has some of the nicest flannel I have ever seen and the ladies there are so nice. If you venture south, in McMinnville there is a GREAT shop called Boersmas. There is a cute little café across the street for breakfast. The air museum is not far. Last time I went, I dumped MM at the museum and took my time shopping. The Spruce Goose is in the museum. As you walk out the front of Boersmas, if you turn left and go about a block and a half, in the middle of the block is a great Mexican restaurant.

Have fun on your trip!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone, for your tips and encouragement. We are not quite to the point of needing the wheelchair services, although I am glad there won't be any plane changes, having to hurry to get to another concourse, like I have had to do in the past. I don't move too fast. I had surgery in December and have screws and other metal in my foot, so I will have to get "special treatment" like my sis says.

Pat, we're going to Eugene, then to Bandon for a couple days, too. I will be on the lookout for fabric shops, but to tell you the truth, any extra room in my luggage will probably be filled by driftwood, shells, rocks or T-shirts.

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post