Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Handling large quilt during quilting

Hi there from sunny Dublin,

I have started a quilt which measures 105"x105", it look lovely but have already sweats how to handle this large piece of material when the quilting starts. I would love to get tips from more advanced quilters?

Greetings
    Marijke

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Handling large quilt during quilting

Hi! I have Irish in me from my father's side of the family. Irish mixed with Cherokee! German from my mother's side.

I highly recommend Marti Michelle's Quilting in Sections: http://www.frommarti.com/mm5/merchan...Category_Code=

You can probably find it on Amazon for UK.

I have this book and really love it. Several different ways to handle a large quilt.

If you like online classes, Ann Petersen at Craftsy.com has a class called Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine. She's a really good instructor.
    Vonnie

3. Thanks Wrenmuzz thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I quilted a large quilt like that earlier this year. I started in the middle and just quilted small sections at a time to make it more manageable. Take lots of breaks for your shoulders and have patience. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've quilt 2 that were 104x104" and severy that were 96" in my DSM that has a throat measuring 8-1/2x4-3/4". It is doable, but a bit tiring. I did ditch stitch with a walking foot (actually integrated on many Elna 720) on the 2 really large quilts to make sure the layers did not shift. And then FMQ the quilts. The trick to handling is to work from middle to edge, so no more than half the quilt is in the throat at any one time, and to "scrunch" - think a large accordion pleating - the fabric in the throat. If you roll it, it is impossible to move the fabric well to FMQ. And support the part of the quilt not in your machine at the same level as the sewing bed mof your machine so quilt weight doesn't drag down from the needle. For me, that meant setting up folding tables round my sewing table.

Of course, if you need to move a design across the whole quilt, mark the top with washable marking (like the blue fine line erasable pen), because it is difficult to get continuity thru the middle otherwise.

Leah Day has a good video on handling large quilts in a DSM on YouTube, as do several other instructors. Hope that helps.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Janome 1600QC, fantastic machine for quilting and i have room next to my sewing table to add extra

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Vonnie, nice to hear you have Irish blood running through your veins. Quilting is not a widely renowed passtime here in Ireland but it is slowly getting more publicity by being part of the craft fair these days.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Julie. Stitch in the ditch starting in the middle (I'd choose the widest length first) and work your way out to one side and then the other. That will stabilize the quilt. It would be best if you do both vertically and horizontally for best results, then you can quilt in quadrants and get a break from working an entire half quilt for the rest of the process. Hope you find something that works for you.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I can't add better tips, than you already have been given. Only if you want to join a craftsy class about quilting large quilts on a home machine I highly recommend Ann Petersons class. She is wonderful and she always answers, if you have any questions. I sent her a picture of my last bed quilt, she printed it out, draw a pattern on the Foto and sent it back. She is really a lovely person

And I wanted to say that I love Irland so much, have been there about 12 times. I had quite a tough year and no chance to travel anywhere, but my heart resides in St.Finians Bay on the beach enjoying the prospect of the Skellig islands....
    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nice machine. Just looked up the specs: http://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome-1...E-4aAqSw8P8HAQ

The last quilt I quilted before getting my longarm was 90" X 108". I quilted it on my Babylock Espire which has a 8" throat space. I did as suggested above and quilted (stitch in the ditch) the major seams. Used the Fons and Porter chalk pencil to mark designs then quilted the center squares first. My shoulders ached so bad afterwards. So take frequent breaks and stretch those neck and shoulder muscles.
    Vonnie

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

Your Juki2010 is taller in the throat (and same width) as my Elna 720 so should be doable. Key is quilting from middle out. Not only do you never have more than half of quilt in throat at time, but the quilted part doesn't pleat or smoosh as tightly as unquilted part. So when I got carried away on one, after stitch ditching her, I found that quilting from the edge in only works for small quilts - really fought for control of my quilting.

Now, that said, I agree with the above. This large a quilt is tiring. So plan breaks frequently (set a timer, or I play a CD and when its done, it is time to get up, stretch, and walk around a bit). And the more you support your quilt so it is level with your machine bed, well the less tiring...

Looking forward to seeing your quilt!: