Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Quilt backing s

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilt backing s

I am machine quilting a quilt with a lot of white background. I am using navy Shannon Cuddle for the backing and have a thin layer of muslin for the batting ( to keep the weight down). I am having a problem with the Cuddle poking through the stitching hole. The white thread I am quilting with has a little blue dot at every hole, making it look like my tension is off, but it's the tufts of Cuddle. I have changed my needle and adjusted my tension to no avail. I am giving this quilt as a gift, and I want it to look nice. Help! Any suggestions??
    Last edited by Mamashops; June 5th, 2017 at 09:16 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilt backing s

The only thing I can think of is to use navy thread but that would really show up on your white fabric.

I wonder if a different type of needle would work. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will know the answer to this. I have used cuddle fabric several times but never had this problem. But then, I don't remember using solid white fabric either.

Are you using a longarm or a sewing machine?
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Is it too late to change out the muslin for flannel? Maybe do a test first. I have never used muslin but have used flannel with my minky quilts.
    Vonnie

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm going to try a 60 needle first to see if smaller puncture holes in the top fabric won't let the navy show through as much. If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to switch to white flannel. I've used thin muslin before when I've used Cuddle and didn't have this problem. I guess the navy and white is just too much of a contrast. It doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist..my friend has another word for it! �� Have a great day!