Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with Summer in the Park Tube Problems

I sewed all my strips for Summer in the Park using the Hello Love jelly roll for the print and cream for the solid. I should be able to cut 6 squares from each tube. The problem is that some of my tubes wind up short for some reason leaving a triangle half with a piece missing at the corner. The instructions called for 1 jelly roll of print and one of solid, but very little room for error - no extras to make up for boo-boos. I took a piece of matching fabric and butted it next to the piece that was short and stitched it along the seam line. then I took a piece of fusible webbing and fused another piece of fabric behind it for stability. But I'm worried about it coming loose - I may sew down the joined section with a satin stitch. Or quilt those parts densely. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? Do you think my method of covering this up will hold up? Any help is appreciated as I am a new quilter - this is my second quilt.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with Summer in the Park Tube Problems

It sounds like you have found a good solution. When quilting your quilt, the quilt stitching will help stabilize and strengthen that seam. It may fray a bit over time with washing. But visually, you will be fine with this fix.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have not made this quilt yet but I went back and watched the video and was wondering if you butted your ruler on the seam line or the edge of your tube. The video shows to place the edge of your ruler on the seam line whereas one would want to place it on the edge of the tube. Maybe this is causing your problem.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I was careful to line up with the seam line. I put it all up last night and went to bed. As I lay there I went over the problem in my head and remembered that the pattern said to cut 72 triangles. That means I will be 6 triangles to the good if my math is right. 13 tubes times 6 triangles = 78. I haven't finished cutting my tubes and so far they haven't all had this issue so I may not have to use those.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have not made this one but made a Quilt in a Day Fence Rail. I was so surprised that my strip sets were not even! I was to sew four 2 1/2" strips WOF. Then subcut into five 8 1/2" squares. Well, some I only got four squares out of because not all strips were 44 - 45 inches. I was so disappointed. I went back to the store to buy more fabric but they were out of some of the fabric that I needed. So I bought yardage in one of the fabrics and made a wide border to get the quilt to the size that I needed! That taught me to always buy extra fabric. I can always make a matching pillowcase with the extra. This does not help you right now but wanted to let you know this is a common problem. Even fabrics from the same collection will not always be the same WOF. Really, really aggravating.
    Vonnie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the tutorial, and maybe I saw the wrong one, but they said they got 4 pieces out of each strip tube set.
    They used 3 strips in their sets, so 6 strips per tube.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using the Fons and Porter pattern that appears in a Leisure Arts book. I sewed 3 strips together then made the tube with two of the 3-strip pieces. Some of my solid strips were over 1 1/2 inches longer than the prints. And the solid was so erratically cut, some of them veed in the center it was very frustating to work with. I had to redo so much because it was so hard to get a consistent measurement. When I joined to make the tube I was afraid to match the edges so I nested my center seams and pinned there so I could get a consistent 6 inches between the seams. Which brings up another question. Am I being too anal about this. How much can I be off without getting into trouble? I remember Jenny saying that I would have the benefit of the bias - wondering what she means by that.