Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Questions about Long Arm Quiliting Machines / Owning One

I have an Innova. I love it, although I much prefer piecing. I do not quilt for others and have no plans to do so at this time. I am still learning how to quilt to my level of perfection, but I know I do not practice often enough. Everyone else pretty well covered my other thoughts, but I can answer any specific questions you might have. I highly recommend a large quilt show to try a lot of different ones out, having a dealership near you, and a long arm guild!

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

This is an EXCELLENT article on buying a longarm: http://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/the-...es-matter.html

3. Thanks Magicquilts thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    I just noticed in your signature line that it's a 24 inch! How long will your frame be? Mine is a 10' because that is all the space that I have and my machine is an 18". You will love all that throat space. What a lot of people don't realize is that roll up bar takes up space. Even tho I have an 18" throat, I can only comfortably quilt a 12" block. Less if I have a ruler base loaded on. But that also depends on the frame. My ruler base butts up against the roll bar for the backing fabric which takes away a couple of inches of quilting area.

Do you have a quilt guild near by? That is one way to get started. You could do a lot of charity work for them and they will get to see your quilting and want you to quilt their personal quilts. Also, some fabric stores will let you put up a business card. I'm not confident in my quilting skills to go pro. It seems that every time I or my machine messes up, it's on someone elses quilt.

Congratulations on your new machine.
    Vonnie, Bernina does it a little different. You have the choice of three frame sizes - 9', 12' and 13'. My frame will be 12'.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, can you tell why you eliminated the HandiQuilter machine? Thx.