Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fusible batting

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default fusible batting

I am getting ready to sandwitch together using fusible batting. with no super large ironng board what s the best way to put t together? anyone have any great ideas? I cant manhandle anything as I have crushed fractions in my back. seems as tho it should be easier but don't how to go about it? thanks for any ideas in advance.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: fusible batting

The only time I have every used fusible batting is when I make bags. Is it Pellon 987F? I'd be interested to know.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if you were to lay the quilt sandwich on the floor then iron it on the floor. Would the iron damage anything underneath it?

Then again, your back might not be able to take the strain. Do you have anyone, like a teenager, who would iron it for you?
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Remember to press - not back and forth ironing.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    The only time I have every used fusible batting is when I make bags. Is it Pellon 987F? I'd be interested to know.
    There is actual fusible quilt batting for quilts. It is a lot thicker than fusible fleece. I never used it though because I wasn't sure how you would keep the back from fusing to what ever surface you used to iron on. It doesn't have paper backing.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    There is actual fusible quilt batting for quilts. It is a lot thicker than fusible fleece. I never used it though because I wasn't sure how you would keep the back from fusing to what ever surface you used to iron on. It doesn't have paper backing.
    I dislike fusables because of that dang paper backing. I can't imagine trying to de-paper an entire quilt. That said, I guess you'd have to sandwich all 3 payers before ironing. That can't be easier than spray and/or pin basting.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Its Hobbs heirloom Fusible cotton batting. Queen Size 90"x108". I thought it might be easier for me. I ordered it from Shabby Fabrics now I am wondering if i made a mistake by getting it. I dont know anyone around here. maybe my son will help me out.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Its Hobbs heirloom Fusible cotton batting. Queen Size 90"x108". I thought it might be easier for me. I ordered it from Shabby Fabrics now I am wondering if i made a mistake by getting it. I dont know anyone around here. maybe my son will help me out.There is no paper backing you just iron it on.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I used iron on batting for a table runner and I hated it. It would not stick and didn't iron it correctly so it stretched. I ended up pealing it off. I can't imagine doing a whole quilt with it. I think you are better off using spray. If you have a large table layer your backing, batting and quilt top smoothing it all out and spray sections. But then this is just me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I have a large quilt I use the spray basting and utilize the big tables in conference room at work. I use "sulky" (expensive - but you don't need the extra ventilazation like some of the others). It is temporary so quilting needs to be done within a few days after spraying. I still pin in a few places before I fold it up to take home. I use painters tape to hold the back down in place and then start the sandwich. Do you have a community center, or maybe a room in church with big tables...