Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Working with panels

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    Have you tried wetting it and gently nudging it to size and shape?
    I have never seen a panel that was straight and true to grain, something bad about the printing process I guess.
    Agree completely!

This seems to be a requirement for panels, there is a grid material you can purchase to block the panel. I believe it is a one inch grid usually found with the interfacing materials.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If the panel is not replaced: Do NOT CUT the panel ... ADD to the panel!

Doing so will give you a "wonky" frame around the panel, but the frame will be squared up and look intentional -- as if you planned the border that way! I say "wonky" only because the border will not be the same size all the way around your quilt; likely each side of the border fabric will go from wide to narrow. How narrow? that will depend on how "off" the panel is.

Add a border in a bigger size than what you'd like to end up with -- because you will be cutting away that border when you square up the panel w/ the border on it.

Then, you can add your other blocks around it.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

3. Thanks Irene221b thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for dampening the panel, pinning the edges straight and gently flattening it into shape with a steam iron, then allow to dry. I have done this with quite a few panels, as they are often crooked. To get the right size without math I add a border that makes it a little bigger than I need and trim it to size. A little difference in width of a narrow border is usually not that noticeable. Use a plain fabric that does not draw attention to itself. Panels usually have borders anyway.
    If you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.