Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Working with panels

I bought a kit from Missouri Star that has 2 panels of horses surrounded by blocks and strips. I want to make this for my niece who is getting married in Nov. Yesterday, I started cutting everything out and all went well til I got to the large panel which is supposed to be 24.5 x 42.5. It has 6 horses surrounded by a border of wood grain. The panel is so crooked that there was no way to cut it to those dimensions and keep everything squared up. One side, either the top or bottom would have white showing when I sew it because the white area is more than a quarter inch. When you look at the panel the top printed border is crooked and swags down in the middle. I am so disappointed! My first thought is to cut off most if the crooked picture and try to find a closely matching woodgrain print to sew on around the horses to make it the proper dimensions. My other thought is to square up the panel and reduce the size of all the other pieces in the quilt which means everything would have to be trimmed down. That would require lots of math
    The large panel goes across the top and it is surrounded by blocks and strips then there are 2 smaller panels at the bottom surrounded by more blocks and strips. I've cut everything else out (squares, triangles and strips) except the outside border. I am so disappointed! I will never by another panel kit again! Do any of you have any suggestions for how I can salvage this kit? I always get great advice on here so I'm counting on it again! By the way it is supposed to be a throw size of about 58 x 68 or so.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Working with panels

I think I would contact them and ask them to ship you another but they should take a look before shipping to make sure the print is not misaligned. If all the kits are misaligned than I think they should pull the kits and ship back to the manufacturer. Plus offer you a substitute of your choice. Hopefully not all the kits are this way. Real bummer.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought several panels of recent years, esp. for baby quilts. If yours is that crooked, I certainly would contact M* & ask for a replacement. They're usually pretty good about making adjustments.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For that reason I don't purchase panels any more. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask for a replacement.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I'll ask for a replace mentioned and see what happens. I honestly don't think they will replace it but it's worth a try

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just got 2 deer panels and one of them has a bad line (like dye didn't take well) running down towards the big deer's head, but I think I can salvage it for a matching pillow. BUT I didn't take heed from a fellow quilter here.. I cut exactly like Jenny's video and that dang left ear of the big deer, his cut up antlers I can deal with.. one normal ear and one elongated ear! I have decided to name the quilt "Lefty" in honor of the abnormal ear. My cousin will love it anyway.. we have always found a way to put "fun" in the dysfunctional things in life. So why not a deer... it will be ONE OF A KIND for sure!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I only have a few panels, but I normamly don't cut a thing until I hang up the panel to see what I'm dealing with.
    The one I did do, I cut up the strips and started sewing and when the panel came, I had to change directions.
    I ended up using it for the back.
    It was also a bit crooked. I pinned the corners, and marked them so the front corners would line up with the back corners, because the stitching was going to show.

If matching the woodgrain pattern is impossible, I would probably try to match one of the colors of the woodgrain border, add the solid border, no wider than you need, and then trim to the measurement you expected. Even if the woodgrain part isn't even, the matching solid waving wider and narrower to fit, should blend and look like part of the woodgrain, and at least the panel will be straight at that point.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I just think that's the nature of the beast for some reason. I bought a couple of fall themed panels a couple of years ago and they both had the same issue. I think you're best bet is to do what you said -- square the panel up and then add a border to get it back to the size you need it to be. I would avoid recutting everything.

9. Thanks Mom23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried wetting it and gently nudging it to size and shape?
    I have never seen a panel that was straight and true to grain, something bad about the printing process I guess.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have used many panels and I have never had problems, although when someone left a bit badly wet and without finishing it ironed holding the right corners, you can see the works with panels in my albums of "Plentziana" I hope your work look nece