Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HST Border

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default HST Border

I want to do a border with HST. Does anyone know of a math formula to figure out what size square I would need to cut and how many to perfectly equal the length I need once they are all sewn together? Does that make sense? Hahah
    My quilt is 77"X52"

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: HST Border

I 'think' I maybe have this figured out. I'm going to talk it through and see if anyone else thinks it makes sense - lol
    The first step is I need to make each side of my quilt divisible by the same number, right now, they're not. I would add 3" so my new quilt size would be 80"X52"
    Both numbers are divisible by 4 so if I make my HST to end up as 4" squares I would be good to go.
    That would mean cutting a square 4 1/2" plus the extra 7/8" so that's 5 3/8" (once all sewn together in a strip they would be 4" - I hope - lol)
    Haha - I flunked math and do not speak the language so I'm sure I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be - lol
    Guess all I can do is get some scrap fabric and try out a few squares.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help laughing. You totally lost me at step one adding 3" . I am completely hopeless at math. Plus I have had a few drinks ( sorry, long day) so your entire post is like reading a foreign language!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

HST Tutorial and Maths Formula:

http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/20...maths-formula/

x = finished size
    y= unfinished beginning square size

y = x + 7/8

For 52" wide, 4 is the highest factor that 52 can be divided by equally. Therefore, the chart in the link indicates that a finished block of 4" would require a beginning square of 4 + 7/8 or 4 7/8".

For 77" long, 4 cannot go into 77 equally. Therefore, you must 1) allow for some wiggle room of your quilt size and either go smaller & add a border to achieve your final 52 x 77 or go bigger and decide whether to add a border or not.

76 can be divided by 4 equally. Therefore, consider a quilt size of 52 x 76.
    Again, since dealing with a 4" finished HST, you would start with a beginning square of 4 7/8".

This explanation is based on the math chart in the link; I have not confirmed its accuracy. Try to make 1 sample square to check the math before cutting more than 1 square!
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=DramaMama;962540]HST Tutorial and Maths Formula:

x = finished size

y = x + 7/8

When I first started reading the explanation, I thought oh NO... as if fractions weren't bad enough, now we have algebra.. but as I read more I get it! But me and my sewing.. and my dislike for such a off fraction... that 7/8 part. I would start with 5" and would do some trimming... my seams are not always spot on, so it would give me my much needed wiggle room.. that 1/8 extra. But that is me and I know ME...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Someone will come to your aid and figure this out.....I am no good at math, at all !

Name:  Garfield Weight.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  7.0 KB

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

First off, you are correct that your quilt sides need to be divisible by the same number. So either change the height or the width. DramaMama's suggestion of 52x76 is close to your original number and has 4 as the multiple.

So now you know you need 4" finished HSTs

Then you need to decide how you want to make these HSTs.

If you cut two 5" squares and sew on either side of the diagonal, you'll get two HSTs with wiggle room to trim.
    If you cut two 7" squares, sew around the edges and cut on both diagonals, you'll get 4 HSTs with wiggle room to trim.
    If you cut two 9.75" squares and sew on either side of both diagonals, then cut on the diagonals and in the middles, you'll get 8 HSTs exactly.

Of course your choice depends on what colors you need for the HSTs - will they be scrappy or need to be specific colors.

If you go to the link in my signature, you'll see where I got the numbers. I used the row for getting a 4.5" unfinished HST....

8. Thanks Longstocking, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am seriously laughing out loud at this. I love your honesty! I started reading it and thought it's too early in the morning to try and figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I can't help laughing. You totally lost me at step one adding 3" . I am completely hopeless at math. Plus I have had a few drinks ( sorry, long day) so your entire post is like reading a foreign language!
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mimi_Howard;962545]
    Quote Originally Posted by DramaMama View Post
    HST Tutorial and Maths Formula:

x = finished size

y = x + 7/8

When I first started reading the explanation, I thought oh NO... as if fractions weren't bad enough, now we have algebra.. but as I read more I get it! But me and my sewing.. and my dislike for such a off fraction... that 7/8 part. I would start with 5" and would do some trimming... my seams are not always spot on, so it would give me my much needed wiggle room.. that 1/8 extra. But that is me and I know ME...
    That's how I do it also: Start with an easier number on my ruler, then TRIM IT UP. But I didn't want to confuse things after posting the link. HA! Plus, I know some people put colored tape on their ruler to help them quickly ID the measurement spot, so could do that for the 7/8 part. But knowing me ... I'd have to trim up anyway, then I'd be too short!
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also go larger and trim down. Otherwise my blocks would be wonky.

What pattern is your quilt? I have added borders at just the top and also top and bottom. Be a rule breaker.

Have you thought of having different size HST's? Maybe 4" on the sides and 3" top and bottom or vice versa?

If it's a kids quilt, you could applique their name on a strip of fabric and place it at the top of the quilt and change the dimensions that way. I just did that to a quilt. The border at top is twice as wide as the sides and bottom.
    Vonnie