Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Red and white quilt

How crazy am I...I'm planning to make a quilt out of predominantly red fabric and white fabric. Now I have washed the red fabric in the washing machine with a couple of colour catchers...got plenty of dye out...eek, and have also soaked it in a bucket of warm water with some colour catchers. There doesn't seem to be any more dye coming out of the fabric so I'm presuming I'm "safe" now to use it. Does anyone have any other tips on how they make sure there is no more dye bleeding that could happen once the quilt is constructed other than using colour catchers in the wash each time?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Red and white quilt

From sad experience I learned this.

http://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/save...ing-quilt.html

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent question and RW is on my list to make someday so I am following. I am sure lots of you have made RW quilts, or RWB--which would also address the bleeding issue. I couldn't make much sense out of the colorways by vicki--the fabric she chose to use as an example was too batik-like and didn't show very well IMO.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; May 28th, 2017 at 12:13 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I DON"T use "COLOR CATCHERS"...( the commercial ones ) ALL I have ever used is VINEGAR ( white Distilled Vinegar ) I use ONE CUP per load of wash....although when I wash something that is RED.....I put 2-3 cups of vinegar in the washer water :

Directions of how I do this :

I turn on the Washer ...I normally use cold water....but with RED I might use WARM or HOT.......
    I put in my DETERGENT ( according to the detergent's directions ) .
    I also the water to fill the washer......
    I then ADD the vinegar....
    For RED ITEMS I would normally DOUBLE OR TRIPLE the VINEGAR .

Then I dry the clothing as usual.

I have NEVER EVER used "Color Catchers"......I usually use the White Vinegar, but if you only have Apple Cider Vinegar, use that.

I have used vinegar for years. I have black sweaters / sweatshirts and blue jeans that look like the day I purchased the clothing...they look perfect, they hardly look faded at all...!

I probably would have "washed " the red fabric prior to making the quilt.....who knows !? But for the most part, I never wash red fabrics prior to quilt making...

I would love to know what you decide to do !

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

5. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
    I DON"T use "COLOR CATCHERS"...( the commercial ones ) ALL I have ever used is VINEGAR ( white Distilled Vinegar ) I use ONE CUP per load of wash....although when I wash something that is RED.....I put 2-3 cups of vinegar in the washer water :

Directions of how I do this :

I turn on the Washer ...I normally use cold water....but with RED I might use WARM or HOT.......
    I put in my DETERGENT ( according to the detergent's directions ) .
    I also the water to fill the washer......
    I then ADD the vinegar....
    For RED ITEMS I would normally DOUBLE OR TRIPLE the VINEGAR .

Then I dry the clothing as usual.

I have NEVER EVER used "Color Catchers"......I usually use the White Vinegar, but if you only have Apple Cider Vinegar, use that.

I have used vinegar for years. I have black sweaters / sweatshirts and blue jeans that look like the day I purchased the clothing...they look perfect, they hardly look faded at all...!

I probably would have "washed " the red fabric prior to making the quilt.....who knows !? But for the most part, I never wash red fabrics prior to quilt making...

I would love to know what you decide to do !
    Jacqueline,

So I have used white vinegar in my whites but never with colored clothes. Are you saying they don"t fade and retain their color when you use vinegar and do you double rinse or can you smell the vinegar on your clothes, especially if you use 2 or 3 cups?

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou everyone for your opinions and advice.

In total, I have washed the fabric in warm water once, and then soaked it twice in warmish-hot water for about half an hour each time. The water now is clear so I'm hoping I've got all the excess dye out. Fascinating to read about the vinegar....I have bottles and bottles of the stuff as I use it to clean out my washing machine regularly so will now use it with my fabric and quilts.....and yes.....do you have to rinse a fair bit to get the smell out of the fabric/item?

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I have used vinegar to set dye in cotton fabric for years. Even used it when I sewed my own clothes if I was making something out of cotton. It does stop fading and I have NEVER had a quilt bleed, including the red and white quilt I made. I dump about about a quarter gallon into the wash machine, add the fabric, then fill with enough cold water to cover the fabric. I let it sit for at least an hour and then use the spin cycle to drain the water from the tub and then I wash and dry the fabric.
    You should google "Infinite Variety: Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts." It was an exhibit at the American Folk Art Museum in New York. There is a book available with pictures of all the quilts and they are STUNNING!

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to add -- When my old washing machine died and I had to buy one of those stupid water saver things they sell now (a top loading,) I found that the soaking water drained right out, so I now soak the fabric in the utility sink and then transfer it to the washer to wash.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Thanks for the question (would not have thought to consider color bleeding), and for all the great input. I'm using the vinegar method from now on. We used vinegar for our Easter eggs. What a no-brainer this is.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    From sad experience I learned this.

http://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/save...ing-quilt.html
    I use this method, after a hard lesson learned.