Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Plus quilt

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Plus quilt

You all were SOOOOO helpful on my churn dash quilt . . . I knew just who to come to with my newest question/search!! I'm getting ready to make a quilt for my youngest brother and thought the "plus quilt" would be great (modern and somewhat masculine)! Problem is . . . I've got a layer cake and all the patterns I've been able to find either require 5 charm packs (I only have 4 out of the layer cake) or a fat quarter (then chopped up). SURELY there are measurements out there SOMEWHERE using a layer cake!!!

I've kind of played with a scrap piece (extra layer cake piece) and the best I can come up with would be about a 3 inch square but that sure "seams" to be so wasteful!! So . . . thought I would again return to the helpful minds on here to see if anyone can either figure out how I can get 5 decent sized squares out of 1 layer cake piece OR . . . know of a pattern where all the math is figured out for me!

HELP . . . I'm TERRIBLE at math!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Plus quilt

Why don't you look thru your stash and make a charm pack that will coordinate with your layer cake

3. Thanks PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

And don't forget you can always add borders... that is my "go to" when expanding the size of a quilt when I run out material for the basic/main pattern.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

ABSOLUTELY!! I'm all about borders!! Only problem is . . . the "plus" part requires 5 same sized squares to make the + . . . or some seem to use a strip for the center and 2 other squares for the top/bottom pieces. But I can only get 3.25 inch squares out of a layer cake in order to get 5 same sized pieces so . . . figured I'd just do 3 inch ones instead and have lots of fabric scraps

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

hey I had to scrap 2 panels tonight... first time mis measurement!!!! and 2nd one (yep I bought extra one)... good measurments, had weights on the long ruler but my dang hand had a mind of its own. Would it allow the hand with the rotary cutter to follow the ruler... Nooooooooooooo... it just went off and blazed it own trail. So tomorrow I order another panel.. 3rd one better be the charm!

Speaking of charm... what layer cake are you using?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Are the charm packs still available to buy?
    Joan

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, 3 " too small, and too much work for me. Does your layer cake duplicate patterns? If so, you could cut the 2 duplicates into charms, and have 3 left over for another project. You'll need to use some matching fabric from your stash, though, to make difference. Or buy a charm from same line. If this were me, I'd forgo the layer cake and use my stash, or go buy fat quarters on sale for project. Then, I could get 12 charms out of each FQ. Use 10 and have 2 left over, plus some extra in fact, I may just do this for a baby quilt.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Todays daily special suggest making an X quilt with that layer cake. That is "almost a plus sign" and still masculine looking. Take a look at that.
    Debbie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The quilt that Hulamoon posted above is a nice Plus Sign. It's not the traditional pattern but it only takes 2 yds of fabric...cute!