Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Prayers please

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Prayers please

Quote Originally Posted by Carolnnc View Post
    By the time I got home the pharmacy had called to ask if I really wanted the ointment she'd prescribed....it's $275.00.
    Oh my, the doctor must have wanted you to have a pain other than where you have one! Did you ask if there was a generic?
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

2. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! $275. is an expensive ointment! Are you still meeting a deductible on your drug plan? Till that deductible is met, it can be painful to the pocket book. Our deductible jumped to $400. this year!

Concerning straining to go -- you might consider taking a stool softener. You can buy Docusate Sodium over the counter, which is cheaper than the brand name Colace. If you have no fluid restrictions, drink more water & fluids. Avoid foods that are constipating, like chocolate & cheese. Eating prunes also helps. You might do a review of your medications; many have a side effect of dry mouth, etc., which in turn can contribute to constipation. The ones I think of right now are antihistamines & anti-depressants. You can read all about any of your meds on drugs.com or google them individually. I hope things heal up quickly & your feel better soon.

4. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Evidently there are lots of medications that "just put a band aid" on the problem and only two that successfully heal the wound. The two that heal are compounded drugs that my insurance will not cover. No generics for either of them. I guess they would rather pay way more for the surgery than pay for the medication.
    My doctor told my to buy powdered Miralax and use it each day. She's young and quite funny, she told me not to put it in a baggie if I fly
    I did start on prunes about three months ago and it seems to actually be helping quite a bit. I just got lazy and didn't take them for several days. I have been constipated since I was born but it has gotten worse in the last two years. Water, exercise and fiber don't help much. We don't eat out and I cook from scratch to control what DH eats. I don't eat dairy, red meat, pork, junk food or stuff like boxed mac and cheese.
    My doctor says I'm her only 62 yr. old who doesn't take any medications so I don't have to worry about side effects.
    Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming! Someone else can hit on something I've never thought of that will help.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good old fashion Castor Oil. Not very tasty, but still very effective.

7. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that you went in and are getting this taken care of. Our son had problems when he was quite young and they ended up doing some test that figured out one portion of his colon was longer than normal and that was why he had issues. Back then he took a teaspoon of mineral oil every morning. Once things were running smoothly, he was switched to miralax.

It's funny how when things are working good you stop doing something (like the prunes) and then realize how much they were helping. I have done that with yogurt - it helps with my occasional intestinal issues, but I get tired of it or we run out and then I realize why I eat yogurt every day.
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

9. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I mix MM Miralax with Country Time pink lemonade every morning....well, we just cut back to every other day now, and I only do a half dose. Plus his nightly stool softener. There is another product that is exactly the same as Miralax whose name escapes me, but it is half the price and has the exact same ingredients. That is what I bought the last time.

Hope you start feeling better!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

11. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow is that ointment laced with gold or something?!! That is really pricey. I am sorry I have no advice for you but I am happy you got it checked out.

13. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If a person uses a fiber product like Metamucil (brand name), you can buy the generic, Natural Vegetable Powder, for about half the cost. Both products have some glucose in them, so I buy just the plain Psyllium powder at my natural grocers. I mix it in with a drink, which is a combination of Celestial Seasonings flavored tea & a flavored vitamin water. I heat the tea in the microwave first before mixing in the Psyllium. I mix up 2.5 qts. of the tea drink at a time & keep it in the frig. for drinking the tea either hot or cold. My recipe: Heat 2 qts. of water to boiling. Add 2 bags of flavored tea, 2 bags of decaf green tea. Steep 10 min. Add 1-20 oz. bottle of flavored vit. water. Sweeten to taste (I used Stevia powder). Cool. Store in frig. If I use Mandarin Orange tea bags, I combine those with Rooibos tea.

15. Thanks Carolnnc, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I had a problem with constipation after my baby was born. A glass of prune juice every morning soon got things moving. I didn't like the taste but it's easier to swallow than eating prunes. My husband suffers diverticulitis and can be very uncomfortable at times. His can be made worse by not chewing his food properly.
    Last edited by Bouse; May 24th, 2017 at 07:52 AM.

17. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers to you!

19. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post