Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Juki TL-2010Q and me

I love piecing, and am beginning to love machine quilting, too. I have an inexpensive Brother machine, the Laura Ashley model. I learned to sew 2 years ago, and that is only machine I have owned and used. I like it, a lot actually, but I can only quilt baby quilts on it. I never use any of its fancy stitches. Do you think I would be crazy to buy a single stitch machine like the Juki? That single steady stitch idea just fascinates me. But I want no Bobbin trouble. Thanks for any input.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Juki TL-2010Q and me

I have that machine and I think you would love it, like several of us do! The first time I saw it was when I was taking fmq classes. The instructor had one. She pieces all her tops on it and then quilts them on it as well. She is the grand prize champion at the state fair here often and it's all done w/her Juki. That in itself persuaded me to get one, but it was a couple years before I ever found one in a store. Bought it on sight. I have since bought a Juki DDL8700, which is an industrial. I love him just as much!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Newbie View Post
    I never use any of its fancy stitches. Do you think I would be crazy to buy a single stitch machine like the Juki? That single steady stitch idea just fascinates me.
    I haven't had any bobbin "issues." I've had a couple of machines that have the vertical bobbin and love that this lever stays in the straight position when inserting. All of my older ones were spring loaded and had to be kept open with finger pressure. That sometimes was a pain ... and this is much easier. And you won't have to remove the quilt to get to the bobbin like you would have to do if you had a top load horizontal bobbin. Many of us have gotten ours in the past few years!

I don't use any of the fancy stitches but do have them on another machine. I would recommend you keep your current machine as a backup or if you ever decided to use those stitches on a small project .....

4. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I forgot to add that I use Superior Bottomline on my bobbins for this machine and they hold about 3x the amount than when you use normal thread.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

6. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a Brother that I use for piercing/classes and leave my Juki set up for quiting only. The larger throats size is wonderful and have never had bobbin issues. I use Superior Bottom Line in the bobbin as that is what was recommend by my instructor in a FMQ class.
    Janet

"You cannot use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have."

Maya Angelou

8. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Judy, USMC about the bobbin. It is a side loader and you can open it easily as it hinges upward. I had it in a standard sewing cabinet for a bit and could open the bobbin cover easily. I prefer vertical bobbins, and the Juki is very similar to my Pfaff 2144.

I would keep the Brother, though. You will find yourself doing the most straight stitching on the Juki - even clothing, but if you need a zig zag or a buttonhole, the Brother will do it.

10. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the TL2010 for almost 2 years. Also new-ish to quilting, but not sewing. I've been learning FMQ and love how this machine functions. No buyer's remorse at all. You very rarely want or need the walking foot on. I bought a high shank stitch in the ditch foot and it works great. Agree with the others to keep your current machine for other tasks requiring a zig zag or blanket stitch. You should be aware though that Juki has introduced a new model the TL2200qvp Mini that is nearly the same but comes with some different feet, including a redesigned walking foot with guide, a redesigned standard foot now with a finger guard and a real piecing foot. The TL2010 does not ship with a piecing foot, but you can get a generic one very inexpensively. Hope this helps.

12. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Juki TL2010 that I use for piecing and the TL2000 on a Grace frame for quilting. I've had both machines for 3 years and haven't had any issues with either one.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

14. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

[

QUOTE=Midge;959847]I have had the TL2010 for almost 2 years. Also new-ish to quilting, but not sewing. I've been learning FMQ and love how this machine functions. No buyer's remorse at all. You very rarely want or need the walking foot on. I bought a high shank stitch in the ditch foot and it works great. Agree with the others to keep your current machine for other tasks requiring a zig zag or blanket stitch. You should be aware though that Juki has introduced a new model the TL2200qvp Mini that is nearly the same but comes with some different feet, including a redesigned walking foot with guide, a redesigned standard foot now with a finger guard and a real piecing foot. The TL2010 does not ship with a piecing foot, but you can get a generic one very inexpensively. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

If by piecing foot you mean one with a guide for 1/4 inch, Juki does have one for the 2010. I just bought it from AllBrands. No more tape on the machine! It's expensive, but I found it worth it. There is also a ruler foot for the 2010 if you are into ruler work. It works better that the one from Westalee.
    Last edited by Alpha O; May 21st, 2017 at 09:00 PM.

16. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. You are such a resource!